From eskimo!news.sprintlink.net!news-stk-3.sprintlink.net!news.sprintlink.net!news-pull.sprintlink.net!news.sprintlink.net!news-peer.sprintlink.net!howland.erols.net!feed1.news.erols.com!cwix!uunet!in1.uu.net!22.214.171.124!nonexistent.com!not-for-mail Sun Jan 5 12:14:21 1997
Xref: eskimo alt.autos.bmw:584
From: timmy_at_cybernex.net (Timmy Fogerson)
Subject: Re: 95 BMW M3
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent .99g/32.339
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 14:49:02 GMT
"Billy Horlacher" <Horlacher_at_netmrc.com> spewed something like:
>I am looking into buying a 95 M3, I have test driven this car and fell in
>love with it at first sight.... How well mechanically is it put together
>and will it take everyday city driving? Thanks,
>94 525i 25k miles "still going to keep after I get M3"
My '95 M3 gets along well in everyday city driving. If there's any
ice or snow on the road, forget getting anywhere fast. The most
feather footed person on earth can't get 'em to hook up on slick
As far as the quality of the car, I've been very disappointed. I've
had alot of problems with my car. I think that my experience with my
M3 isn't typical, but other M3 owners I know have had some of the
problems I've had. My car has a tad under 20K miles on it now. These
are the problems that I've experience in the last year:
- The dash above the center heating vent warped and separated. This
is such a common BMW 3 series problem, dealers actually get kits to
- The glove compartment door alignment was very bad. The dealer
replaced the glove box to remedy the problem, but even the new one
- The plastic covers over the upper seat belt mount consistently fall
off ever time that someone gets in the back seat.
- There is an annoying vibration/squeak/somethin' in the dash.
- Heater and vent controls are painfully slow to respond.
- The left rear side window leaked whenever I went through a car wash
or sprayed the car. The new seal works, but it looks like crap.
- The seals around the rear side windows warp and look like crap.
- The base of the seats (standard M3 buckets) are cheesy and weak.
Also, if the seat is moved forward past a certain point, the outside
of the seat bottom side bolsters rub against this plastic support
piece resulting in a squeak.
- The clutch pedal sqeaks/creaks.
- Shifting is inconsistant. Sometimes smooth, other times notchy.
The clutch engage point seems to float around a bit too.
- Shifter rattles a little bit.
- The engine has a light miss at idle. The dealer keeps telling me
that the scope says it's okay. There's alot of valve noise when it's
- The right front fog lamp fell out once.
- The HC emissions test always fails in New Jersey unless you run
the piss out of it and skip to the head of the line.
- I occasionally find a piece of trim that needs to be re-seated.
- On occasion, when sitting at a stop sign, the thing has problem
maintaining steady idle.
- When you get out of the car with the parking brake set, there is a
loud creak. All three series bimmers apparently do this.
- There is a small paint bubble by the left rear tail light.
- A large "pod" fell out from under the dash. I found where it
belonged and clipped it back in.
- The computer warns of a "Brake Light Circuit Failure" on
occasion. Turning the car off and back on makes it go away. The
fuses are fine and the brake lights work fine when the failure message
- The speaker grill on the left rear speaker sometimes rattles.
- The handling is getting a little loose (tail happy). I think
that this is probably an alignment issue, though.
- There's an annoying "tinny" noise when decelerating (like an
To date, only about half of these have been remedied by the dealer.
Of course, my dealer sucks. But, there are some good BMW shops out
there - I'm just not conveniently located to any of them.
On the up side, the car is a kick in the ass to drive. I wouldn't buy
another one, though. And unless they dealer can get my problems
cleaned up, I'll get rid of mine this summer. But then again, I'm
anal when it comes to my automobiles and little sh*t drives me nuts.
Especially when I drop $40K on the car...
[ Help ]
"Ticket Me Red" '69 RS Z/28 Camaro
"Arrest Me Red" '95 BMW M3