Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 13:23:27 -0500
From: Ted Telesky <TTelesky_at_compuserve.com>
Subject: [E36M3] <E34> 540 "sport package"?
<<<<<How can I tell if my E34 ('95 540) has a "sport package" installed?
(Does such a thing exist, and if so, what all does it entail?)>>>>>
Before I bought my M3 I was looking at 1995 540i's. I get confused by the
many 540i sports being sold which were not 540i M-Sports. What I found was
the 540i was available with a "sport package" which added a 6 speed manual
and sport seats to the base 540i. There are a some of these out there.
The 540i M-Sport is a model designation - not a package. Below is the
list of changes a 540i M-Sport has (this was from a dealer who was selling
ANd of course - the final way to spot a M-SPort is the price. I found 2 of
these recently, both over $40,000, versus 540i 6 speeds at $30,000.
1995 540i M-Sport.
The M-Sport package was a $7,600 option package that was available on only
200 cars imported to the US after production at the end of the E34 model
run. 65 have automatics and the rest have the 6-speed manual.
Specifications unique to this model were as follows:
- High-performance M5 ABS brakes
- Servotronic steering
- M5 Nurburgring suspension - self-leveling EDC III with Sport and Adaptive
- 8x17 M5/850CSi two-piece Turbine II forged alloy wheels with 235/45x17
- M5 Aerodynamic Package: Front spoiler, rocker sill moldings, rear apron, M
- Sport Seats with Montana Leather
- 10 Speaker 200 watt AM/FM Cassette Stereo
- Leather steering wheel with M color stitching
- Door sill covers with M logo
- Illuminated M shift knob
There were only 4 available options on this car:
- All Season Traction (ASC+T)
- Heated Front Seats
- BMW Trunk-mounted 5 Disc CD Changer
- BMW CMT-2000 Voice-activated, Portable Integrated Cellular Phone
For you interest, a car as above with 20,000 miles was priced at $46,000.=
[ Help ]