From digest.v7.n1117 Wed Feb 11 18:16:21 1998
From: ingraham_at_ssl.berkeley.edu (Curtis A. Ingraham)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:06:19 -0800
Subject: <E34> Odometer Light Replacement
In BMW Digest v07.n1112 Shane Kleinpeter <sak335_at_earthlink.net>
> ... E34 535i and the light that illuminates the odometer (this is
> the LED odometer, not the mechanical one) has gone out.
> ... it would seem that removing the instrument cluster is much more
> involved than in my E28 (apparently the steering wheel in the E34
> neither tilts nor telescopes).
You can most likely get the cluster out without removing the steering
0. Do NOT turn on the key while you have anything disassembled.
- Make sure you know the radio code.
- Disconnect the battery.
- Remove two screws on the underside of the cowl above the cluster.
- Tilt the cluster down and back (aft), and pull it clear of
- Note how the cables are connected to the cluster, then unplug them.
- Slide the cluster out between the steering wheel and the dash.
(This is when you find out for sure whether you need to remove the
- Replace the odometer illumination bulb(s).
- If you're feeling prophetic, replace all the other bulbs at the
- Replace the two instrument illumination bulbs on the underside
of the cowl in the dash.
- Put it all back together.
- Reconnect the battery.
- Turn ignition switch to the first position and enter the radio code.
- Check illumination.
[ Help ]