Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overheating/adding coolant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russbarnes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 4:46 pm    Post subject: Overheating/adding coolant Reply with quote

I've been having an overheating problem where my auxilliary cooling fan on my 85 325e will not come on, so the first thing I've done is flushed the radiator and tried to add coolant.
So far, I've only been able to add maybe 3 quarts to an 11 quart system!!!!
My hoses look fine. My auxilliary fan works when jumpered. My fan clutch seems to pull when I stop it.
Do I have a blockage in the radiator?!!
Anyone with any experience?

rduckwor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:26 pm    Post subject: Overheating/adding coolant Reply with quote

Typically when draining the coolant, you need to pull the block drain bolt as well to drain the block. I realize that you just flushed the radiator, but this is helpful to know next time. After filling the radiator to capacity, you need to run the motor until the t-stat opens, crank the heater valve to the max temp setting then race the motor and allow it to return to idle a few times to work the air around the system. Then open the bleeder screw on top of the t-stat housing to vent the air. Race the motor a bit while you are venting as well. You want a steady stream of bubble free liquid coming out of the bleeder screw. Close the screw, shut the motor off and carefully refill the overflow tank again and again until the level stabilizes. Check it again when its cool and re top.

Also, feel the top and bottom radiator hoses when the motor is running and warm. A cool hose indicates a bad t-stat. Just replace it.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
russbarnes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 3:48 pm    Post subject: Overheating/adding coolant Reply with quote

My t-stat works fine. I took it out and tested it in boiling water. Opens right up. I released all the fluid in the system. Checked the radiator for blockages and found none. I tested the auxiliary fan and resistor. No problems. Now, I need to remove the fan. I have the 32mm wrench, but I cannot brace the pulley so that it doesn't turn. My object is to check out the coolant pump, but I can't remove the fan. Any ideas how to brace it?

Thanks, Russ
rduckwor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 5:54 pm    Post subject: Overheating/adding coolant Reply with quote

Back two bolts out of the pulley enough to get a large screwdriver behing them and hold it that way. You probably know that the fan bolt is reverse threaded.

HTH

Bob Duckworth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: