Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OUCH! Mechanic gives me bad news! HELP! ('86 325es)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabernar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 8:46 am    Post subject: OUCH! Mechanic gives me bad news! HELP! ('86 325es) Reply with quote

I brought my 1986 325es into the mechanic because it sprung a leak. Well, she said that it has LOTS of leaks, and plenty other stuff wrong with it (I got a good deal on the car several months ago).

Problems:
* needs all new hoses
* the leaking power steering fluid
* leaking oil (which I knew about - small leak)
* needs new plug wires
* a cracked air intake boot
* needs new drive belts
* has a bad tail shaft
* AND totally falling apart lower ball joints.

*WHEW*

She is going to fix the most important stuff (ball joints). What of the above can I do myself. I am pretty good mechanically, but I don't have much experience with cars (I do a little work on my 1976 BMW motorcycle, though), and I don't have a WHOLE lot of tools (though I don't mind buying some more).

What does everyone think? Which of these can I tackle so I can save myself some money?

Thanks,

Shawn
2002kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 5:32 pm    Post subject: OUCH! Mechanic gives me bad news! HELP! ('86 325es) Reply with quote

As with anything, I would probably get a second opinion in regards to all your repairs before you have them done.
In replacing the ball joints, it is sometimes more beneficial to change the entire control arm. The labor to change the ball joint make exceed the costs of the arm which comes with both inner and outter already installed. Just a tought.
In regards to mechanical repairs you can do, the air intake boot is pretty basic and the plug wires and easily done due to their lay out in the harness, although I've never heard of them going bad.
Fluid changes are not too bad, however, disposal of fluids is the main difficulty when you're in your "back-yard".
Hope I could help, GOOD LUCK!!!!
t white

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 4:35 am    Post subject: OUCH! Mechanic gives me bad news! HELP! ('86 325es) Reply with quote

I agree. Hoses, intake boot, Drive belts and plug leads are all simple to do at home. Tip... Change the Distributor cap and rotor when you do the leads... you're part way there anyway. Intake boot is only worm drive clips and I believe the idle control valve. Tip..... clean the idle control valve out with thinners while you're there. it will probably need it. Drive belts are simple but it's fairly tight in there. TIP.... do these at the same time as the hoses and leads. you'll have more room. Doing all of this yourself will save you money and your doing a more thorough job! where is the oil leak from? It could be just cam cover gasket or oil filter housing. Both easy to fix. The power sterring is a similar thing. If its the resovoir or pipes these are easy to fix / replace. if its the pump your doing the drive belts anyway!!!!

Get yourself a Bentley manual and have a go. BMW's are not as intimidating as they first appear. Have a go.

Hope this eases you worries a bit.

Trevor White 93 525ise Surrey U.K.
rduckwor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 5:05 am    Post subject: OUCH! Mechanic gives me bad news! HELP! ('86 325es) Reply with quote

You can do all of this yourself with a good manual (Bentley) and some patience. Most of it is maintenance and not terribly fiddly. The drive shaft will need to be rebuilt by someone with new U-joints.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: