Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

centercap help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klhale

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: centercap help needed Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a 1988 325ic BMW w/ BBS gold centercaps. The centercaps are coming off, and I have lost 2 lately. Fortunately, I had 2 replacements but I am afraid to put them on, for fear I will loose these. They are rare and cannot be bought anywhere.
I live in Dallas, where the heat might be affecting them.

Do you have any ideas as to how I can prevent my centercaps from flying off?

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Karen
m78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board Karen!

I don't think it's the heat, that's causing your wheels to fly off. Perhaps it's more a problem with the wheels than it is with the center-caps though.

I've never had one fly off the car in 11 years of driving it.

I have a special cap wrench that does help in getting them tight, obviously number 7 in the diagram.
And the caps themselves should clearly have the inner ring which I think may be made of rubber/plastic, that sort of keeps any gaps in the connecting points to remain tight. That part should be completely intact, or it may not ever be tight enough to remain on the wheel.

Also make sure the notches in your wheels are straight, tight and not distorted.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
beejay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance you can post a pic of the wheel and/or cap so we can see what you are dealing with?
You mentioned Gold. Original OEM wheels are silver. Unless someone painted them. Aftermarket BBS wheels are gold and do use a different cap set up. My buddy had a set on his Acura. Very hard to find parts for.
Post some pics if you can so we can see what you have.
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
01 VFR800fi - 03 DR650S - 83 CB1100F - 82 CB900F - 69 CB750
85-325e

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the locking tabs on the cap are shot, it'll never stay on. You need to post pictures of the cap collar so we can see wha the mechanism looks like. BEcause you're new, posting pictures may be new and different, you if so, email them to me and I'll post them for you.

And yes, welcome to the board!

robert1700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven on the same e30 bbs wheels, I think they are on car #27 now, for the last 12 years and I have yet to have a cap fall off. Two have been stolen when I lived in West Seattle.
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I did a search and can't find the post. A few years ago when I was having the same problem someone suggested using a small sheet metal screw to keep the cap from turning. I didn't do it because my replacements are very tight, but that might be an option once you find replacements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: