Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP...I've got a problem (update)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current battery going on 6 years. Sears. Still under warranty. However, might replace for peace of mind. Needed a boost after 2 idle weeks. First time with that.
PJK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry,

Six years is about what you might expect for a battery however a discharged battery after two weeks can be caused by excessive leakage in the electrical system. When the battery is going out you will likely see the radio lock up and demand the code after starting the engine. This is of course if have the OEM radio. Also you may get an ABS warning if the battery is too weak to run the ABS diagnostics. I wouldn't expect the battery to be a contributor to your drive-ability issues.

On the drive-ability thing - was the AFM inspected carefully or has it been "blessed" based on the absence of fault codes? Given the mechanical nature of your AFM I wouldn't rely solely on the codes. Make sure the vane is not sticking.

Phil
Henry wrote:
Current battery going on 6 years. Sears. Still under warranty. However, might replace for peace of mind. Needed a boost after 2 idle weeks. First time with that.
walshja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, hopefully the fix is that simple !!!

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Henry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI. First and foremost your "looking over my shoulder" with suggestions and encouragement has meant so very much to me. I can't thank you enough.

As for the mass air etc. I was told my sensor was removed, a known working sensor installed and the fault codes still appeared. Was also told my sensor was measured using ohm meter and it appeared to function. That is how the air flow etc. was examined. Don't know if lube was applied.

However, I do have the Bentley, and thanks to your help, the page reference and...after all these years...it's about time I became adventurous.

Shall wait until I arrive in Santa Fe, where the car is parked in my home garage and I have back up transportation to lay hands on this as a maintenance issue. To attempt any work in the NYC street, in front of my building, where alternative side of the street parking reigns is, well, nuts. The vehicle was garaged in Jersey City for the very modest amount of 160- for April only. Had to since I was out of city for 2 weeks. In a park and lock garage, yes, it's possible to 'get into' your car. However, with a parking ticket costing a fortune and a disabled vehicle no excuse for a waiver, it's best to have one hand on the ignition and the other on a bible.
Otherwise known as a wing and a prayer.

So, any work will wait till Santa Fe. I leave next week. And, come November, when car is due for inspection my plan is to return, place vehicle in Jersey City garage for month and then...regardless of impediments, obstacles and distraction get the heck outta here and return said car to New Mexico.

NYC is really no place for an automobile. Well, it could be if one is agreeable to paying around 400 per month to locally garage the car

I live close to the subway that takes one to New Jersey. It's an 18 minute trip and the garage savings are (at this time) severe. Actually makes keeping a car here almost affordable. However, do the math and 160 (price does go UP though) can, after a number of years become a nice downpayment on a new car.

My car was garaged here for 11 years. I did the math and totaled in excess of 20K. Though I did use vehicle there were times it sat for a few weeks without going out. So, before my next bmw totaled the sum of an additional 6 or so years of garage payment I decided to get it the heck outta here.

If you have a garage at your house give pause for thanks.

Also...with alternative side parking I am required to sit in vehicle twice a week for 90 minutes per in order for the street cleaner to pass by, and to keep my spot. Of course I can drive around during week but that entails looking for a spot when I return. Also still requires the 90 minute wait if I'm home between 9 and 10:30.

How does all that sound, fellas? Unless you absolutely require an automobile in Manhattan (the outer boroughs are easier), in a word...
DON'T.

Hopefully the return drive will be uneventful. I shall keep all posted.

regardamentacos...Henry

PS BMW Bloomfield charged the battery, let it sit for days and then measured charge. They showed me the paperwork on this. It was OK.
However, afte 6 years I'll spring for a new Sears battery. Even though current battery has a 100 or so month warranty I'll be real and recognize it doesn't owe me a thing. It's been a good run. I do understand the losing of current thing might be an issue...time will tell. So far the numbers are favorable.

Anything more I should worry my sorry ass about? Please let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: