Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is my alternator going?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmcon98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Is my alternator going? Reply with quote

This winter. I've noticed that when my E30 is idling with the lights and heater fan on, the lights are a little dim and the fan a little slow. When I raise the rpms from idle speed (around 750 rpm) to arount 1000 rpm, the lights brighten and the fan speeds up to normal speed. If I let the car idle with a lot of draw on the charging system (lights, heater, rear defog, etc.) the battery will be weak the next time I start the car. The battery is relatively new, and the alternator is of unknown age.

Does anyone else have this symptom? Is the stock 90 amp laternator sufficient for the car? I know the early E34 525i with the M20 motor used a 140-amp alternator. Is this a good swap?

My car has lots of stuff that draws on the charging system in the winter, like a fan-driven rear window defogger (it's a cabrio) and heated seats, so I wonder if a more powerful alternator would help.
85-325e

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your voltage regulator may be going. I'd check it anyway. It's a checp fix if that's it. The brushes wear down and one day, your alternator doesn't charge. I think the part is like $30.

beejay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possible VR, but usually if charge rate is OK unloaded and drops off with more load it's more likely the alt. but the VR should be replaced as well since they are cheap. Is your ALT the original?
Mine has been replaced with a rebuilt by the PO and does the same thing although not as bad as yours. Lights dim a little at idle. I've been thinking the same thing that a higher output alt might be needed.
It seems to be working OK so it's lower on the list of things to look at. Smile

I'll have to do some poking around to see whats out there.
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
01 VFR800fi - 03 DR650S - 83 CB1100F - 82 CB900F - 69 CB750
cmcon98

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alt looks original, so I'll probably replace it. I wonder if I'll melt anything if I replace it with an E34/M20 140 amp alternator??
beejay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmcon98 wrote:
The alt looks original, so I'll probably replace it. I wonder if I'll melt anything if I replace it with an E34/M20 140 amp alternator??

i wouldn't think so, but Maybe Robert has done this or has some input.
I like the idea, is it a direct bolt in?
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
01 VFR800fi - 03 DR650S - 83 CB1100F - 82 CB900F - 69 CB750
cmcon98

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a bolt-in, althougn the 140-amp has an air intake shroud with a flex hose connection like the E36 alternators have, so you'd have to connect a hose and run it to a scoop behind the grille. Bet the E36 hose and scoop would work.
tncean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second 85-325e on the VR. Takes less than 1 hr to replace. Suggest discon battery... one slip of the screwdriver and can get right sparky.

tncean
cmcon98

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I suppose I agree on the VR. I pulled it last year and the brushes looked good, so I reinstalled it. It couldn't hurt to replace it. I think I should be able to leave the car idling with every possible factory electrical accessory turned on and not discharge the battery. I know the idle speed is about right (750-775) so that's not it. So I'll try replacing the VR. Thanks for the advice, folks.
tncean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of an afterthought... couple of years back I tried replacing just the VR, but the alty was just done. Ended up getting a "lifetime" warrantied alty from, I think, Advance Auto for maybe 100$ (or less)... I keep the VR in my "extra" bag, along with a CPS, and a relay, a light bulb, or 2.

Will suggest making a photocopy of a receipt, as the thermo-paper printout from the store will soon fade.

I've also switched to "Green Stripe" alty and ac belts... less squeeel, fit better than Conti.... to me.

Good Luck!

tncean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: