Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

electrical question Batteries to Vampire drainage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

my Preferred Battery
acid type
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
acid type (deep cycle)
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
gel type
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
gel type (deep cycle)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
solar charger
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

idanity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: electrical question Batteries to Vampire drainage Reply with quote

noticed a pattern. need to know your knowledge/ history please.

1. ive used a red top OPTIMA battery for years. Yet every 15 months, it has to be replaced. Question = are optima's wrong for the e30 Question

2. If i park my car for 3-4 weeks, the battery dies, i don't think this happens @ first (when its new) but it always ends up shorter and shorter, now, i can park my car for 3 days, and the battery is dead. (actually now, its more like 1 day).

3. my Yota can be parked for months, and the optima battery it has is fine. and its older.

4. is the gauge cluster a drain on the system (or any other things) Question

5. recently, i cleaned up my girlfriends' girlfriends car, and tested the battery/ alt with a device that actually flipped its speedo BELOW the zero peg...and it wouldn't go above it, i had to actually remove the peg to get it to work again... has this happened to you , if so, in an e30 Question

and
6. my blinker was being so weak that the overhead lights were reporting dead turn signals and lisence plate lights..but upon inspection, they were just dimmer...still working.

any ideas Question

a. new voltage regulator -
b. new brushes
c. new cables
d. new/ different battery (i would prefer the gel/ non acidic battery, but ive been through 3 optimas now...(all free replacement btw), what is the best battery to use (besides the dealer )
beejay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the charging system been tested and verified it's up to spec?
Has the system been tested for static drain? (ie amperage)
I use the Sears die Hard international line. has the correct breather for the front mounted cabrio's.
It's been in for years with no issues.
Although if I leave the car set for say more than 2 months over the winter it will need a charge. So there is a small drain on the system that is present.
I could lift the ground cable to prevent this I guess.

I like the Optima's and have one in my Tundra, but I'm not too sure if the older charging systems are adequate for the sealed AGM batteries.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02833348000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Batteries+%26+Chargers&sName=Automotive+Batteries&sLevel=3
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
01 VFR800fi - 03 DR650S - 83 CB1100F - 82 CB900F - 69 CB750
m78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has your alternator ever been replaced?

Do you have upgraded stereo? and high power amp?

upgraded headlights?

I have the sears international as well, and I've had it replaced twice in 8 years. 4 years or so, is all you can expect from diehards.

I've always read the best is the one the stealer sells. Aside from that, they're all close to the same in quality and expected lifespan.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
idanity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 amps ( stereo) and a 1.5 fared cap.

stock ellipsoids
beejay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still need to know what you static amp draw is.
Put an ammeter in series on the pos battery cable and make sure the key is out and see what your amp draw is sitting. should only be in the milliamp range.

here's a quick google search on how to test for parasitic draw.

http://flashoffroad.com/electrical/Batteries/BatteryDrain.html
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
dale

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Interstate batteries in my BMWs for the last 10 years or so with good success. I posted a while ago about which models fit which BMWs, do a search for it if interested.

I use an AGM battery in my motorcycle as it won't go dead just sitting there.

As beejay said, measure your static draw, if it's larger then it should be, it will kill any battery.

Next step, disconnect the stereo cables, I'm sure you've got them going straight to the battery, and measure if your Cap or amp have a static draw when turned off.

Next step is to pull the fuses one by one and measure the milli-amp draw of each of those circuits.

If any of those areas is larger then X milli-amps, that will kill a battery pretty quickly.
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
idanity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been working overtime everyday, finally got 2 days off.

i bought a (1 y.o.) used interstate battery and will do the tests tomorrow after noon.

thanks for the tips.
robert1700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say si batteries.
idanity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all, and no to the si batteries, as they held up w/out any battery in the car for weeks.

i got a new(er) interstate 870cca battery and mounted it, set it all up, and will do more tests tomorrow. i am getting shocked when i shut down the car, and touch the door or metal after im on my feet. (so somethings draining it)

started doing lots of other things, (coolant test, well, its staying just above blue on temp. so i think the thermostat is stuck open), had no heat yesterday (fixed that)
cmcon98

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact car you have, right down to the color! I've had the same cheapo Auto Zone battery for three years. It spins the starter as fast as any new car, and the car sat for several months once with the neg. battery cable disconnected, and it started right up when I started driving it again. I'm sure that if I left the battery connected, it would have gone dead, though, just from the drain of maintaining the radio, clock, SI board batteries, etc.

I've never heard of E30s being hard on batteries or anything like that. My friend's '86 eta sat in a parking garage all last winter without being started. In the spring, she had the garage guy jump it, and it's still starting fine. I'll bet that if you just install a battery shutoff and turn it off when the car is going to sit for more than a day or two, you'll be fine.

I'd also test your alternator just to make sure it's charging 14 volts. If it's weak, it could cause the symptoms you describe.
85-325e

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that... check your voltage regulator on the alternator, and make sure the brushes are in good shape. If that goes, you'll have no charging... If it's going, your charging will be marginal.

This reminds me to go and put the battery maintainer on the car though! Thanks Wink

beejay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idanity wrote:
i am getting shocked when i shut down the car, and touch the door or metal after im on my feet. (so somethings draining it)

not good. if you are getting a shock (other than static electricity from wearing polar tec fleece Very Happy )
there's something going on over and above normal charging issues. You have a direct short to ground. Which is draining your battery.
Not going to be easy to locate but I would check wiring on things like aftermarket radios amps etc. that have been installed recently.
google checking for shorts and you should be able to find a procedure for connecting an ammeter at the battery and disabling one component at time buy removing fuses to isolate the circuit.

I'm surprised that there isn't a fuse blowing somewhere already.
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
idanity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, its slight, and maybe from wearing fleece, honestly i get shocked on buildings, stairway rails, and wonder if its my shoes ?

the rain subsided today, and im going to spend a few hours on the cars today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: