Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

525i E34 Manual Tranny Advice Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwinkles

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: 525i E34 Manual Tranny Advice Needed Reply with quote

G'Day,

I have a '90 525i with a Getrag 260 manual trans. This started out simple, in that the car has 150k miles and I am changing the tranny oil. I bought the needed Redline. Now here starts my question;

Instead of cracking open the drainplug, I mistakenly put a wrench on this 17mm bolt (see picture) and gave it just the smallest turn -- that initial crack to loosen it. I then realized this is not the drain plug and tightened it back. But in doing so, I smelled a strong smell of burnt tranny, and I heard a little 'ting' noise when I first turned it.

Can anyone tell me what this bolt is I turned? Can anyone tell me what that brief moment/mistake could cause me in terms of any trouble? I appreciate it--new (used) BMW owner, and new to this board. Thx.

Just found out without a server, I can't post the picture. To describe this, there is a 17mm hex head bolthead near the output side of the trans, near the bottom or underside of the car.
edjack

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to realoem .com, and point out the bolt you loosened.

If you retightened it, probably not a problem. Change the lube, and take it around the block.

Do you have a Bentley's for your car? If not, why not?

Don't forget to replace the diff lube, too.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
lwinkles

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Wow, I found what you told me to look for Reply with quote

That RealOEM.com site is amazing. I expect that will come in handy. THANKS!

The bolt that part I turned is part of the "Inner Gear Shift Parts" sub-diagram on the Getrang 260 manual transmission at RealOEM.com. I got there by knowing I have a E34, 525i, mfg 04-1990, M20 Engine, Manual Trans. The bolt is #19-"Screw Plug" and it pushes on #17-"Lever". There is a spring in there, and so I could see where a little turn could cause it to make the 'ting' noise. So I'll finish this fluid change up and give it a try, like you said.

About my manual (book). I have a Chiltons, which was what they had convenient and in-town here. For the Transmission, it gets to that point and says something like "take it to someone who knows what they're doing". I'll check out the Bentley's you suggest to see if it is more descriptive (overall).

And about Diff-oil change. I do have the proper Redline product for that too. I'll get this work under control, and get to that. (I actually have the trans out of the car, so I have a bit of work.)

I don't know if you'll get into this post again. But I did want to thank you Ed, because you gave a good headstart to a newbie. If you do have any comment back about my assumptions above, feel free to offer it up. I hope to look around this board a little more in the future too. Thanks again!
edjack

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't remove the bolt, you should not have a problem.

The Bentley's is the best source of repair info since BMW stopped publishing service manuals.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/bmw/5-series/525i/1989-1995/BMW-5-Series-E34-1989-1995-Repair-Manual.html

BTW, why do you have the trans out? Clutch job? Don't forget to lube the input shaft spline, so the clutch slides smoothly. Some use anti-seize, some use grease.

BTW2, create a sig, with info like mine, as well as where you're located. It helps us when you ask questions.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
lwinkles

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I'll be fine then with my original question/post.

I am changing the clutch. I see your suggestion. I have a tube of Moly, and anti-sieze intended for the exhaust bolts. I'll figure what to use.

I'm changing the ENTIRE exhaust too. I've been patching etc., and I just decided to pay-up on that thinking I can get another 150k miles on this car if I do it right, including the exhaust.

I'm giving this section of the car a once over while I'm in here. For example, the driveshaft mid-bearing is torn/bad.

I'll look into the Bentley's manual.

And I'll work on my sig page, but it will be awhile til I can wash my car for a pic! It's on bricks and blocks. It's all under control--takin my time.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: