Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need new radiator, question about coolant flow direction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Need new radiator, question about coolant flow direction? Reply with quote

After replacing a hose last week, a very small amount of coolant leaking out still.

Don't where it's coming from though. Had it up on ramps last weekend and let it idle for quite some time, and never saw a drip.

Checked the coolant level everyday from Saturday until today. Always at the proper level when the engine is completely cool.

Tonight, the coolant light came on. Haven't checked the coolant level yet, but guessing it's low.

Could it have been an air bubble still present in the system?

Could it be a small leak from the radiator?

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)

Last edited by m78 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
tncean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M... could also be the sensor? esp if fluid level ok... the connector wires a bit loose? mine does that sometimes...esp when messing around that area.. finally just taped them on with electrical tape... its a "float" level sensor, if goes gooey, will not work.. if the wiring connector gets unseated, will give you a "low" signal..

Main thing is, eyeball the fluid level.

t
m78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coolant was definitely low, about 1/4 to 1/2 gallon low. and it seems the upper radiator hose was loose...weird.

I could have sworn that I tightened that hose. Could it have worked itself loose? dunno. but it's tight now.

Is there a possibility of over tightening the upper rad hose? How tight should it be? Tight enough, that you cannot tighten the hose clamp any further?

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
m78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now discovered my problem. The upper hose connection on the radiator cracked and broke off.

So I definitely need a new radiator now.

Anyone have any suggestions for upgrade possibilities? I've seen some that have metal (aluminum) mounting brackets instead of plastic. Is it worth the extra money?

I'm leaning towards stock right now, but if there is something reasonably priced that is built better than stock, it may be worth pursuing.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
85-325e

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you can have that hose connection piece soldered back on???

m78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea, however, the connectors are plastic, molded to the side of the aluminum radiator.

And not only that but it fell apart in pieces, so there really is no opportunity to solder or re-attach it. though if it were possible, I certainly would re-attach it.

Don't know if the older E30's had plastic casings, but I believe all the newer ones do.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
m78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the coolant flow from radiator through upper radiator hose to engine and then back into radiator through lower rad hose?

A small bit of the upper rad pipe broke off and I haven't found it yet. Is it possible it may have flowed into the thermostat housing?

I'm going to look around on the plastic skid shield tomorrow, to see if it popped out.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
tncean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think AutohausAZ has radiators in the 150$ range?

A very helpful tool, for me, is a mechanics mirror, (mirror on a stick). I use it to correctly align the ring clamps, esp on the bottoms of the hose fitments. What "looks right" from above may not be correct. To me, the hose connects on these cars require a precise fitting.

Will suggest all new hose clamps, will make install go much smoother.

Won't hurt to check the tstat for debris.

Use distilled water, (grocery store, 1$ a gallon), if using "full strength" coolant, rather than premixed.

Good luck on your project, and Happy Holidays to all.

tncean
idanity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must throw this in there.

i too broke my upper (tiny) fitting to the radiator...and got a small brass threaded fitting roughly the same diameter, and just stuffed it in..then JBwelded that thing on...i thought at the time it would be a temporary fix, but its been years ! Smile

i just remembered now that i read your post..

hope that helps. and saves you some $$

edit-
i remember now that the fitting was smooth, and not threaded, hence the jbweld. i did use some brass tube of somekind, and used enough jbweld to make a cone shape, from the radiator outward to the hose...its a low pressure hose i guess b/c i never had a reason to replace it yet. but when i do, i want to get a bigger alloy radiator and delete the fan clutch for an electric fan.

merry xmass/ jholidays yall
happy trails
m78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear to God, I did not read this post, but that is exactly what I did this morning.

I sawed off a small piece of metal plumbing pipe, cut a small groove in it to match the groove that is in the interior wall of the plastic inlet on the radiator pipe and jb welded that puppy right in there. Also I wrapped some double-sided pipe tape around the metal pipe to replicate the small bump on the old inlet pipe, in order to make the fitment tighter for the clamp.

We'll see how well it holds (especially in freezing, snowy weather).

And tomorrow (or later tonight) I will re-attach the hose, and then tomorrow fill it with coolant, and see if it leaks.

Also, I believe the very small piece of plastic that I cannot find, might have gone into the radiator. It shouldn't cause any harm in there, nor do I think it could ever come out the other end. But nevertheless, I am still going to order a replacement radiator.

Should I go more rugged, all aluminum racing style? If so, any recommendations?

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: