Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP-Removing the Key cylinder from the steering Column

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkjurg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: HELP-Removing the Key cylinder from the steering Column Reply with quote

I have 94 325is which would not start last monday. To give the condesed version of this fiasco-The key cylinder has cratered althought it moves, it does not disengage the column lock or the switch that sends power to the engine.

I had it towed into my mechanic and the way of pulling sylinder as given as a way of pulling it does not work. The cylinder is total shot. Crying or Very sad

I am trying not to have the car towed 75 miles to the nearest dealer. Is there any website or does anyone know how to pull it. I was told that the column has to be disassemblied to get to it.

Marne Confused
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Removing the Key cylinder from the steering Column Reply with quote

There is a BMW tool for this. It amounts to a piece of hardended steel wire with a handle. It is silly expensive (~$30) but after trying with all manner of drill bits and scribes I broke down and bought it. I think I still have it somewhere but good luck finding it.

I think you have to remove all the plastic covers around the lock cylinder.

It has been a long time so I have forgotten the details, but I think the procedure is in Bentley.

I was working on "Hitlers Revenge" (my wife's e32) at the time and I remember the job to be a royal pain. I tried the tool on my e36 and it was a relative piece of cake.

Good luck,

Phil

mkjurg wrote:
I have 94 325is which would not start last monday. To give the condesed version of this fiasco-The key cylinder has cratered althought it moves, it does not disengage the column lock or the switch that sends power to the engine.

I had it towed into my mechanic and the way of pulling sylinder as given as a way of pulling it does not work. The cylinder is total shot. Crying or Very sad

I am trying not to have the car towed 75 miles to the nearest dealer. Is there any website or does anyone know how to pull it. I was told that the column has to be disassemblied to get to it.

Marne Confused
mkjurg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Addenum Reply with quote

Sad Had to have the car shipped to BMW Dealership. This was a worst case senerio and it turned out expensive. Had to replace the lock sylinder [$129] and the steering wheel lock [$179] and labor $370. Shocked

Not to including the tow for 72 miles. This sure limited my cigar and beer budget. I also purchased the special tool to extract the cylinder anothr $45.00 Embarassed

the lock cylinder from BAVAUTO WAS $75.00.

I wished I knew an indpendent shop.

Marne
1971 Lotus Europa
1984 BMW 318i
1989 Mitsubishi PU [the Zero]
1994 325is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: