Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT - For the bimmer owner who has everything

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: OT - For the bimmer owner who has everything Reply with quote

Turn your BMW or MINI into a WiFi hot spot! This wireless router installs in your car's trunk or cargo area and receives cellular internet service. You can connect to the Internet in your car when you want, in most places in North America, to search Google, use MapQuest, download a song, check your e-mail, etc. And since your car is now a hot spot, your passengers can connect their WiFi-enabled gadgets to the router at the same time. With its patent-pending TRU Technology, the router is designed to prevent lost connections to the network even when you are traveling between cell towers, through tunnels or in areas of poor signal. The router runs over both 3G and 2.5G (1xRTT) cellular data networks to give you the fastest and most expansive coverage in both the US and Canada. Click here to see a coverage map. There are two monthly data plans: 1GB of data/month for $29/month; and 5GB of data/month for $59/month (available through the service provider only after you have purchased your router). See the chart below to determine which plan you need. For further questions, feel free to e-mail info@BavAuto.com or call 800-535-2002 during our normal business hours (Mon-Thu, 8am-9pm; Fri 8am-7pm; Sat 9am-4pm Eastern US time).

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
bimmerjo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my cell phone tethered to my Laptop to do just that, with UNLIMITED Data, at only 19.99 a month Smile

1988 BMW 635CSi - Black
1988 BMW 325iX - Grey - Soon will be black
1986 BMW 325ES - Black
2008 Kawi ZZR600 - Black
1977 Custom Deluxe - Red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
idanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unlimited is the name of the game these days....
with the speeds your getting, and an open (unsecured) router, you can go over 1Gig in 10 minutes...

what are the over-age charges...(sometimes they're a dollar a MB...which would mean a few thousand dollars in a single bill for me.

i've also heard that our gov.t is testing a free wifi on the east coast right now (Jersey or long island) and hopefully it catches on.
if its free, there's little doubt it will come w/advertisements, but well see.

i was considering the tethered modem thing, but i have to use my phone and browse more and more, so i would need a 2nd phone line too

theres so much technology, its difficult to buy anything without thinking of buyers remorse or seeing the next level of ingeniousness...

that hotspot in a car is cool, but i would prefer it in the country, in an RV parked in the middle of no-where than in any urban area where my hotspot could be compromised \

just think, if you parked by my apt, and i discovered your hotspot, and decided to download Mandriva 2009, (thats 5Gig right there) , or even the local ps3's connected up with your "faster" connection and started streaming gameplay through it....

with speeds of 3g, i would not be comfortable with any cap/ limit on usage.

one suggestion, would be to ask for a limiter, or bandwidth drop after your maximum has been hit...so, when you have used your 1Gig , the bandwidth drops to 56kbps.

as you can see, my speeds just improved to about 2MBps , but there are a lot of vultures out there...
idanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comcasts free wifi (in jersey started last friday)

Mandrake can be downloaed here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: