Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Touring headliner repairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss2115

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Touring headliner repairs Reply with quote

Hi.
I've just purchased a 1993 525i Touring.
One of the items on the "attend to" list is that the headlining is completly loose from door to door. Its not ripped and in fact is in really good condition apart from sagging.
Is this a job that I could tackle myself, or would anyone who's tried it recommend a motor trimmer to do it.
If I have this correct, I would have to peel back all the door rubbers, remove grab handles, lights, sunvisors etc, and then drop the solid backboard down and out the tailgate.
I guess that I would then peel back one entire side of the material, use a spray adhesive and press the material headlining back onto the board.
When dry - reinstall.
Is this about right?
Does anyone have any tips for getting it perfect - OEM looking?

Another item on the list is to recover the drivers seat base. They are a grey stripped cloth. I'm in Sydney. Any suggestions as to where to get this done at the right price?
edjack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is to seek out a well-respected auto upholstery shop and let them do both jobs. Unless you have a good bit of experience in auto interiors, you will no doubt be disappointed with the result.

You may be able to order factory seat covers. Consider replacing the seat pad, too, since the seat will be apart anyway.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: