Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery draw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevslac98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Battery draw Reply with quote

My Bimmer is currently in storage because I live in Michigan, but before I put it away for the winter I noticed that the battery wasn't holding juice. I have an optima yellow top thats about two years old. The alternator is pumping out a little under 14V when the car is running. And the battery holds a charge outside of the car. I have subwoofers in the trunk, that I thought was causing the draw. But I unplugged the fuse in the amp. and it still draws. When I first noticed the problem, the car was sitting for about 8 days and no start. Any ideas? could the amp still be drawing if i had a bad ground? Thankx guys
yelcab1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modern BMWs are power hogs. Sitting 2 weeks will drain a brand new battery. One week will drain a weaker used battery. You want to install a ground connector and disconnect it before storing.
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to get a smart battery charger that will float the battery, and keep it fresh during storage.

If you don't want the charger to run all the time, put it on a timer to run for a couple of hours every day.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Trevslac98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I took the battery out of the car so its in a warm place. I guess to fix my problem I will run my car at least once a week or just put a charger on it when its going to sit. Thanks for the tips
yelcab1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevslac98 wrote:
... guess to fix my problem I will run my car at least once a week ...
This is really not the best thing for your car. Run it and drive it, or leave it alone. Squirt oil into the cylinders, put stabilizer in the gas tank, put it up on jacks, disconnect the battery, open the window a crack, make sure mice don't nest there, and leave it alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: