Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crack in dash....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tncean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Crack in dash.... Reply with quote

Have noticed crack that has started to lengthen. Read that it may be best to 1. drill a small hole at each end of the crack. 2. clean the area with something to remove all oils, etc, 3. Fill with silicone, then paint with a vinyl, or use a silicone based vinyl repair that is pre-colored. 4. texture the repair before it dries.

Drilling the hole is to help stop the splitting. Silicone will expand and contract well. I'm thinking something like vinegar or ammonia as a cleanser?
Not sure what would be best for texturizing?

Input welcome...

tncean
85-325e

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten very good at fixing these babies... supposedly, the small hole will stop the crack by distributing the stresses.

I take plastic epoxy, black, and rub it in with my finger, smooth it out, then park the car towards the sun. The hot sun makes the dash material expand, bringing the crack together while it cures. The fast curing epoxy is better. make sure you rub all of the excess out with your finger and you'll retain the texture from underneath.

Last edited by 85-325e on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
beejay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've have one of these kits:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81781-Style-Leather-Repair/dp/B0007TQWK6

I've had good and bad results. Mostly on motorcyce seats which are soft and a little harder to fix and hide. it's all trial and error. Patience is a virtue for a nice job.
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
01 VFR800fi - 03 DR650S - 83 CB1100F - 82 CB900F - 69 CB750
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: