Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

put in my 5-speed today with a novel approach....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmcon98

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: put in my 5-speed today with a novel approach.... Reply with quote

OK, so I've been blabbing about my 5-speed conversion-in-progress lately, and you've all been very helpful when I needed advice.

So today was the day to actually install the tranny. Resurfaced flywheel, new bolts throughout, new seals, new clutch and all associated parts, etc. One big problem. My helper was sick and couldn't make it. What to do. No lift...car is on four large jackstands in my garage. Here's what I did:

I got two big heavy cargo tie downs. Ran one under the bellhousing with the ends hooked to the control arm lollipops. The other was under the rear casing of the trans and hooked to the door hinges. Very secure. I lifted the tranny with the straps enough to get my big aluminum floor jack under it, then jacked it into place, tightening the straps as I went for extra security. I didn't want the tranny on my face, thanks. Once the input shaft was past the clutch pressure plate fingers and into the dosc, it slid right home. I know how lucky I was, that it went in first try, but I was very careful when aligning the clutch. So now it's bolted up, and I just have to do thge hydraulics, shifter, driveshaft, wiring (for the cruise and to eliminate the start relay) and exhaust.

It was unorthodox, but very safe and it worked. I'm pretty strong, but there was no way I could bench press that tranny safely while trying to align it.
regis101

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necessity is the mother of invention. Well done.
78 VW campr
Quincy56

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put mine in myself with a floor jack and some of my own strength.

92 325ic - Isabelle
91 318i - Oscar - RIP
89 325i - Otis - RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: