Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2002 540i Silver Paint Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdturner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: 2002 540i Silver Paint Repair Reply with quote

I have a 2002 540i Sport, and as many of us, the silver paint on the cylinderheads is bubbled. I would like to repaint them as original, i.e.,color finish, ect. Has anyone done this, and what paint do you reccomend for a perfect match? I also have the "M" parallel wheels which are scuffed severely. What do you suggest for the original color for these? Thanks
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us have powder-coated the valve covers, with excellent results. Holds up better than paint, too.

I did mine to match the water pump, and I am very pleased with the results. It cost me $225.

The covers are made of magnesium, so make sure the powder coater doesn't blast holes in them with his glass beading gun.

Re wheels, I took one of mine to a wheel refinisher, and he did an excellent job of matching the color. I suspect most of us have this stuff done, as opposed to DIY, since the pros have access to paints that match very well.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
tdturner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Silver Paint Repair Reply with quote

Thanks Ed. I did see a set on eBay that had been powder coated. I have never taken mine off. The car is still under warranty, or at least until 2009, with about 42,000 miles on it. It doesn't leak, (yet). I am very familiar with American Muscle cars, but am unfamiliar with this car. Any concerns about removing, and replacing these, and of course maintaining the seal? Thank you, Terry
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to replace the gasket set, which includes the gaskets and rubber donuts that fit the bolt holes.

The gasket replacement is straightforward, and no different from a Rat Motor. We generally wait until the valve cover gaskets start leaking, at about 80-100k, and then get the covers coated at the same time as replacing the gaskets. You can certainly do it sooner, and the gasket replacement will then be preemptive. Be careful of violating your warranty, however.

The real pacing item is leakage of oil into the spark plug wells. When that becomes a problem, it's time for new gaskets, since the oil buildup can short out the coils.

In any event, I suggest you buy the Bentley's service manual for this car.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: