Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1992 E32 with an M30 -- What to Swap to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srlawrie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: 1992 E32 with an M30 -- What to Swap to? Reply with quote

I have a 1992 735iL with a 3.5L M30 engine. It runs strong but has a ticking does not appear to be coming from the valve (area). I have two choices, find what the issue is by tearing apart the engine or swap it out for a different engine. Does anyone know what the best swap is for the buck? I love the power that the M30 gives but I want to consider any option.
Thanks

edjack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you last adjust the valves? Also, the banjo bolt holding the cam spray bar loosens up, and you lose spray pressure, and the camshaft suffers.

If the bottom end is still OK, I'd keep the engine, and do a valve job on it. The M30 engine is truly bulletproof.

If you insist, consider installing a 4.4 liter V8, but be aware that it will cost Big Bucks to do. The later E32 had the 4 liter V8. Contact Brett Anderson, at koalamotorsport.com for more details.

Or. consider a Metric Mechanic M30, which will drop right in, and give considerably more power. Might be the best approach if your engine is tired.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: