Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'97 Z3 L1.9 Engine Running with Key in Off Position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shartenstine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: '97 Z3 L1.9 Engine Running with Key in Off Position Reply with quote

'97 Z3 L1.9 - I cleaned my engine compartment using a minor amount of water and Green. After, the engine will not turn off when the key is turned to the off position or when the positive and then negative battery terminals were removed. One or sometimes two cylinders appeared to be misfiring.

I finally shut the car off by pulling the fuel pump fuse but the odometer lights remain lit after the key is turned off and removed. I can restart the car after re-installing the fuel pump fuse but it again will not turn off.

After cutting off the fuel and turning off the key, I continue to hear an electronic hum. I removed the relay that is closest to the right side fender under the cover in the well, and the hum stopped. I also found I could shut the car off by removing this what appears to be a relay. When I reinstall the relay and restart the car, the misfiring ceased, but the engine continues to run until I either re-remove the fuel pump fuse or the above relay.

Suggestions? It's a holiday weekend, I am away from home, and of course unable to get technical assistance.

Thanks for your help!

edjack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this forum, too, and also search it:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/z3/

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: