Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1987 635csi L6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flugzauber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: 1987 635csi L6 Reply with quote

Question Total newcomer here. Just drove my 87 635CSi 1400 miles home.She is grand!!!!!!!!!! Could very much use pointers , most of all on how to get a reset tool, since local BMW dealer asks $ 1000.00 for #1 inspection, only payed $ 3000.00 for her. But really want to make certain that everything is as good as can be. Any info greatly appreciated
dale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugzauber Welcome!
You may purchase a Peake Reset Tool for a reasonable price from Pelican Parts, currently around $139

Peake Research R5-FCX-II Code Scan and Reset Tool, BMW 1987-2000

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/BMWM/POR_BMWM_TOOLS1_pg1.htm

Or, you can get out a piece of wire and do it your self, read how here:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrical/e36_reset_service_lights.html

As long as your diagnostic connector looks like one of those in the pictures it will work.

Dale
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
flugzauber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1987 635CSI L6

Thank you all for your very helpfull advice Very Happy On another note anybody ever have a brakebooster going out? Cause my brakes are acting very odd-- scary odd! While still somewhat braking the pedal feels hard and if you push harder car pulls left and right. After tapping the brakes a couple of times softly they all the sudden work normal again. until the next time and it doesn't only do it in the morning.It is almost random. There is also this groaning sound if your take your foot slowly of the brake after you stop. I hear this sometimes in our old trucks. Needless to say I am driving veeeery gently. Wink Even so it is a great car and here to stay
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimmer magazine did a Market Update of 6, 7, and 8-series cars in the June '07 issue. They also discuss the foibles of these cars. You should buy a copy of that issue: www.bimmer-mag.com.

There is no service manual for your car, but, this one will cover many of the items: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=b794

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
flugzauber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I thought I was going senile, because I could not find a Manual for the 6-Series anywhere. How interchangeable are spec. parts etc. from 7 Series to 6 Series? I am in Nomansland for older BMW's here, I have never seen a 2002 or 6-Series 3.0 l coupe etc. and once in a great while a 7-Series. Everything I see is much newer and only one Dealer in a 100 mile radius. Bad!!! Thanks for all the help and information. It is very much appreciated and I am learning interesting things every time. Wink Very Happy
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably do best with mail order. Become a BMW CCA member, and you'll get Roundel, a very slick monthly magazine.

Also subscribe to Bimmer. Both mags will give you parts sources.

As for parts interchangeability, you'll have to get chummy with other "shark" (nickname for 6 series cars) owners.

flugzauber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Thanks for the advise. They are kind of hard to find though. Laughing Almost hunted a live on down the other day, did't make Crying or Very sad Thanks again got a lot of help here Very Happy
donaldan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can indicate where you are located, you may even pop into someone near you who can lend a hand.
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the description of your brake operation, I would say that the caliper pistons are sticking, or frozen, due to very old brake fluid.

All cars need a 2-4 year change cycle, where all the old fluid is flushed out with new stuff, since brake fluid absorbs water, and also gets gummy over time.

flugzauber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope and pray that your advice is right and its only old Brake fluid which is a very good possibility since I don't know how long the car stood before I got it. (Never thought about that) Well I got her to my mechanic now and am waiting for the verdict. Wink He doesn't think she is too awfully bad Smile It will be a relieve just to know what all has to be done to get her ship shape.

I live close to Omaha NE (probably the only bigger city in the US with only one lic. BMW Dealer and repair Rolling Eyes ) It would be great to find somebody else with a 6 Series here because I haven't seen but one here in 16 years.
Thanks again for all the great advice . I am really happy to have found this site because now I am not totally alone without any clue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: