Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

85 735i ignition lock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
medic408

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: 85 735i ignition lock Reply with quote

Gotta get the ignition lock cylinder out, got the ignition switch(plastic with wiring harness) and actual key ignition out but how do you get the middle locking cylinder out. I really appreciate the help as Chilton's guide does not go into it.
edjack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have gotten it out by now. If so, let us know.

If not, let us know.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
medic408

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, yeah I got it out. Not an easy task for a VERY novice mechanic. The 4 shear off bolts under the steering column were not as easy as chiltons book described for starters. The bolt holding the end of the housing unit had to be drilled out. The job was made easier thru dropping the steering column completely to the floor. Did not take pics, wish I had because I learned many shortcuts after doing things the longway. Oh yeah, after I got it out I went ahead and then had to replace the starter. Wow, could it be any harder to get to a starter. All is worth it as this was a free car from inlaws and now looks good and runs great. father inlaw a little upset after the difficult but cheap fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: