Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1989 BMW 7 series E32 1st & 2nd gear shutter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pccawood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: 1989 BMW 7 series E32 1st & 2nd gear shutter Reply with quote

My 1989 BMW 735IL has a shutter in the transmission after the transmission is hot in the 1st and 2nd gear. This occures when the vehicle is pulling out or after operation in an area where frequent changes are made and the transmission gets hot. Could anyone help me diagnose this problem?

Thanks
edjack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles? Trans ever been rebuilt? When was fluid last changed? If more than 30k, change it to see if condiditons improve.

Note that BMW auto transmissions rarely last more than 150k without a rebuild or replacement. Many die between 80-120k.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
pccawood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: 1989 BMW E32 735IL Transmission Shutter Reply with quote

The vehicle has 160000 miles on it. The transmission has been serviced not flushed. Fluid was replaced with synthetic oem fluid. Filter gasket and oring were changed. We managed to extract 6 quarts of fluid. I believe in a normal filter change there are somewhere around 3 quarts replaced.

The transmission may have gone it serviceable life. However the thing that strikes me funny it only happens when the transmission is hot. If I drive this vehicle in 45 degree weather or colder it works perfect but in warmer temperatures it develops the shutter I spoke of. As far as I know the transmission has never been rebuilt. At least as long as I have owned the car.

Thanks
edjack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of things happen in mechanical systems when they get hot.

Get a diagnosis form a Cottman's franchise. They seem to be a heads-up operation. They only do transmissions.

The problem may just be a minor part, but, if you're gonna pul the trans, you might as well consider a rebuild.

If you do rebuild, be sure to change the fluid every 30k.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: