Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1997 BMW 318 I will not accerlate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: 1997 BMW 318 I will not accerlate Reply with quote

I am working on a 97 318 I that will not acclerate with the throttle pressed. The car will only go about 15 to 20 mph and that's it. I tired to pull what codes I could with the generic OBD scanner and all I got was a code of 402 which is an O2 sensor problem, I think.

I also tried to perform a check in Mode 6 and it said that components 1 and 5 failed. I have no way of knowing which component 1 or 5 is. I am by far an expert with the scan tool. I am trying to learn as I go.

The ABS light is on in the dash and there is a light on that looks like a pyramid with a circle or something around it. Is that the check engine light?

I've never worked on a BMW before. I have tried searchiong here and on the net for my answers with no luck. thanks bob

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
SocrManiac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Your problem is actually simple. There's a problem with the ABS, and the pyramid symbol means the traction control is either deactivated (unlikely, given the ABS problem and the fact it uses the ABS wheel speed sensors) or it is in operation, which, given your symptoms, is a distinct possibility.

My guess is you have a bad wheel speed sensor that is telling the vehicle it doesn't have traction. The ABS light went off when the fault was detected on the vehicle's startup, and the traction control light is illuminating as you attempt to accelerate.

Try turning the traction control off- there's a button on the center console in front of the shifter for this. If the car then accelerates, you have an ABS issue to track down- either a wheel speed sensor or the pulse ring that feeds it.
RTM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we played around with the car in the shop and it appeared to have good throttle response so I took it out and drove it and it drove fine. I did clear codes before driving it.

It now appears that me clearing the code may have freed up the sympton and it will return as soon as the drive cycle is complete?

I think the customer is picking the car up tonight. I will see if I can get them to leave the car until tomorrow so I can check the wheel speed sensors and let them know about the traction control switch. thanks for your help bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: