Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 318i saloon ... problem with my petrol gauge ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesfox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: 97 318i saloon ... problem with my petrol gauge ??? Reply with quote

Hey my fellow bmw enthusiasts ... My petrol gauge is showing empty all the time not matter how much petrol is put in ... now I know it's a 1.8 litre but it hardly drinks juice that fast I had the gauge checked with a diagnostic tool and it's working fine.. So is it a pump or sensor problem ..
I would appreciate any help from people with bmw mechanical experience or someone who had the same problem and got it fixed ..... Help Please because I have to carry 5 litres of emergency petrol in a small can and it's stinking out my boot and causing me to hallucinate thanks guys .... and gals of course
omp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

common problem with E36 cars, even the Z3's. I had to replace both my fuel pump and second fuel level sender.

Pop off the rear seat, unscrew the access panels to the fuel pump and sender unit. Shuld be two each opposite of each other centerline of the car. Discconnect the connectors, turn on ignition switch to run position. (Don't start it) turn switch off, remove key, plug connectors back in. This worked for me and two other cars I tried it on.
she's gone
00 E46 328ic
she's gone
02 E39 525i
She's alive
wesfox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that today !!! lets hope I don't blow myself and my 318 up .. I'll leave the ciggy till after Laughing Had a look at your pic .. nice car .. very dark and serious looking .. you'd expect a gangsta to be driving that machine Very Happy
wesfox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I followed your instructions ... twice and no luck ?? I cleaned the connections and all but nothing ??? What now omp !!! please don't tell me bmw dealer Sad ... I'd need to print my own money for them !!!
omp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should have two connectors on the right side, and one on the left. Did you dissconnect all the connectors, clean them ?.
Did you turn the ignition on with the connectors disconnected?
try pulling fuse 22 and 23, switch on, switch off and put the fusses back in.
If these don't work, you're looking at pull the sensors out and either cleaning the resistor's or replacing them. The new versions are colored Blue.
she's gone
00 E46 328ic
she's gone
02 E39 525i
She's alive
wesfox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I followed all that .. disconnected the connector and cleaned them turned the key removed the keys reconnected the connecters and turned the key but no change !!! the same with the fuses !!! is it difficult to replace the sensors ??? and what part do I buy .. and do I relace the sensor on both pumps ??
wesfox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any update omp ??
Beemer3181s

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the instrument cluster test? turn the key to position 2 while holding down the trip reset button on the odometer, it'll test all the gauges (and lights) in the cluster.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have beemer !!! the gauge is working fine so it's definetly the sensor .. I'm gonna replace the right side pump/fuel level sender and see does that fix it and if not I'll replace the left side sender unit !!! After that I dont know ??? It's annoying driving around not knowing what amount of petrol is left ?? I have to carry a small 5 litre can around with me the whole time Sad
Beemer3181s

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if its any help, but my 318 used to go from full down to fuel warning light on consistently at around 370 miles (595km), so until you get sorted, that might help you gauge how many miles you have left, (rough ballpark figure) Good luck with fixing it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: