Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Cashless Society??

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tncean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: A Cashless Society?? Reply with quote

Control the money, and you control all?

Bank profits, credit card profits through the roof. Little or no consumer protection. Fees for every and anything. What a deal, don't even have to break a sweat. Sit in your climate controlled office and look at a computer screen. Get rich.

Big Brother is your electronic money trail.

tncean
Jscotty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that my bank purposely holds my debit card purchases for about a couple of weeks to see if I am going to lose track and go over my account balance. Like if I made several small purchases ranging in price from $8 to about $15 leaving me $99 left in my account and then I write a check for $101, the check will immedately hit my account and then I get charged for the overdraft fees on all of the other small purchases.

donaldan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame your bank too quickly. Delays are regularly caused by merchants not reporting debit card sales on a timely basis. Most delayed reporting are due to sloppy sales accounting. This is particularly true when the business reports its sales on a "batch" basis. Being a merchant myself, I have committed such transgressions several times, so I know. I always make it a point to call the customers to alert them if it goes over a week. That is if I have their phone numbers.
peerless

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically like debit card purchases for the fact that the money is deducted immediatly. If I pay my car insurance via a automated phone system, as soon as I get my confirmation number it has hit my account. I have been on the phone and watched my online banking screen refresh noting the transaction immediatly. Every debit card purchase I have made is immediate.

Although today I went to Carls Junior resterant and they charged me $0.75 surcharge. I inquired about it and they said they don't do that for credit cards just debit. I asked why would you do that? When using my debit card you are paid immediatly, its the same as cash. When using credit it takes up to 3 business days to get your funds. I told the manager that was unfair and biased to say the least. I ask her to refund the surcharge, she refused, I wont eat there ever again. Have no reason too, too many fast food restaraunts to pick from that don't charge.

Also to Jscotty, I used to get hit like that all the time regarding the overdraft fees. Well that my freind is financial irresponsibility to be honest. I have forced myself to be careful with my money and have only overdrafted once in 2 years now. It is also a symptom of having a JOB, Just Over Broke. Pushing the financial redline week to week. I can't stand working for other people anymore. I refuse to be a victim of 'Employee Appreciation Day' (Payday) I joke with my employers when I get my check, 'Oh its employee appreciation day, thanks'. They respond, 'Whats that supposed to mean?' Me, 'Well this peice of paper here represents how much you appreciate my hard work and efforts for your company, thank's' Smile

Anywho, thats all I have to say on the subject.

E30 Repair and Maintenance Services
714-398-8405
donaldan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many things, money/finance is a two way sword. It depends on how you use and manage it. Many find "plastic credit" God-sent. Some even borrow to start their now very successful business. Others are mired in "plastic debt", up to their neck.
Jscotty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peerless wrote:
Well that my freind is financial irresponsibility to be honest. I have forced myself to be careful with my money and have only overdrafted once in 2 years now.

You are absolutely right and in the past I lived the lifestyle right on the "redline" by over extending myself today and racing to the bank tomorrow to beat the check to the bank (in my E30). Boy am I glad those days are over! When I was a member of my local credit union, they were even tougher when it came to overdraft fees. They would actually look at the date on your check to see if you had the available funds on that particular day. It didn't matter how much money you had in the bank right now or whether you could cover it but if you wrote a check on April 14th for $100 and you only had $54 in your account at 2PM you would get hit with the fee on April 21st when the check was presented even if you had $5000 in the bank.

tncean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting statement from Warren Buffett, I think; If you have an air-conditioned house or car, and running water, then you're living better than John D. Rockefeller.

Guess it has a lot to do with perspective?

"Employee Appreciation Day".... I like that one, Peerless.

Happy is the man that gets to do what he enjoys, and get paid for it. If that high-paying postion comes up for eating, sleeping, getting laid, playing golf, buzzin' around in the bmw comes up, I've got the resume' ready.

I just think it's remarkable how much power the banking industry has over the general population. One of the largest contributors to the politicians that enact our laws?... you guessed it, the banks.

Cheers....tncean
Jscotty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. The people who control the money control the world. Or as the older addage goes, "He who owns the gold makes the rules."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: