Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

steering wheel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwplaya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: steering wheel Reply with quote

when i drive more than 35 mph the steering wheel shakes alittle bit could that be due to balancing of the wheel or alignment if not can someone tell me what the probelm could be ?

thanks alot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scrat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tire for sure. put your spare on the front left then try it out. if it goes away thats the tire. if not try the other. when you find the one you may want to try getting tire balanced. If not may need a new one. Now if this does not work. Shocked you may need to replase some suspension parts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a wheel/tire issue, an alignment issue, or the result of worn parts in the suspension. If it has been more than two years or 20k since the last alignment, a full suspension inspection (repairs if indicated) and BMW KD alignment (including weighting the car) needs to be done. The wheels should be checked for run out and balance.
Spec E30 #96 (NASA-SE)
scrat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey just a bit curious as to the outcome on this. inquiring minds want to know

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel shimmy due to out of balance tires tends to be a harmonic thing, meaning it will be horrible at a given speed, but accelerate past that speed and it will go away... Go to a multiple of the speed and it should be back, etc.

For example, if you have a bad shimmy at 35 but nothing at 40, and the shimmy comes back around 70, it's definitly harmonic, and it's more than likely a wheel balance issue.
alexgraf

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the tire or the rim. Suspension, alignment, etc will generally cause the car to lean one side or the other, or not good tracking at high speed, but not vibration.

'95 325is

'99 528iT - a real SUV
bmwplaya

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it fixed today and the probelm was that the front wheels where not balanced!

p.s. i got the wheels balanced at tires pluse for only $9.99
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
amancuso

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish this was the problem I'm having, I have a constant wheel shimmy at speeds above 60MPH I have had the wheels rebalanced and the problem persisted. I also have NEW rims and tires on the car and the problem is still there. I have New tie-rods and the mechanic has assured me that the ball joints look fine. The only thing he can think of now is when we had the car in the air and spun the wheels, you could hear the pad hitting the rotor and he thinks that warped rotors are causing the problem.. Also you can feel the problem when you are braking above 60 as well. So I really am out of cash and at my wit's end. What do you all think?

-Al.

1997 328iC
jc

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
p.s. i got the wheels balanced at tires pluse for only $9.99
Was it 9.99 each or for the whole car?

Al - did you have that problem before you got new rims also? Was there any change when you got the new tires and rims? Were the tires and rims replaced all at one time or one first then the other?
bmwplaya

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish it was 9.99 it was 9.99 each
scrat

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amancuso wrote:
I wish this was the problem I'm having, I have a constant wheel shimmy at speeds above 60MPH I have had the wheels rebalanced and the problem persisted. I also have NEW rims and tires on the car and the problem is still there. I have New tie-rods and the mechanic has assured me that the ball joints look fine. The only thing he can think of now is when we had the car in the air and spun the wheels, you could hear the pad hitting the rotor and he thinks that warped rotors are causing the problem.. Also you can feel the problem when you are braking above 60 as well. So I really am out of cash and at my wit's end. What do you all think?

-Al.

could be right based on what you wrote. Rotors would be the next thing. after that back to suspension. need to look at struts and the rest of the bushings

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
scrat wrote:
tire for sure. put your spare on the front left then try it out. if it goes away thats the tire. if not try the other. when you find the one you may want to try getting tire balanced. If not may need a new one. Now if this does not work. Shocked you may need to replase some suspension parts.

my steering wheel still shimmys a little bit after all four tires have been balanced and i was wondering what suspension part would be the cause of that?

p.s. would a strut bar stop the shimmy from happening? if yes, what brand is a good strut bar to buy
scrat

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sway bar bushings. Ball joints. Struts. These are the most typical items that cause front end shaking.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrat can you post a picture or email me a picture of: Sway bar bushings. Ball joints. Struts. so i know exactly what your talking about because i have no idea

p.s. i am stupid in the suspention area!!

thanks alot scrat
scrat

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dol.net/~stimpee/carmrepl.htm

The link above shows the removal and replacement of the lower control arm. if you look in figure 3 and 4 this is the picture of the ball joint. Figure 7 shows the control arm bushings. figure 10 shows a good contol arm with new ball joint and control arm bushings. This is where you can gain the greatest control of your car. Same time these are the parts that where the greatest.

http://home.comcast.net/~meeboo8/bernman/article/pictures/newcontrolarm.jpg

Look at this picture the control arm is to the right behind the brake rotor with. The sway bar is the thick bar mounted to the subframe in front of the strut going behind the rotor
http://home.comcast.net/~meeboo8/bernman/article/pictures/supportstrut.jpg

second picture shows the blue bar. this is the sway bar. the mounting bushing is what is mounting it to the frame.

the strut of course is in yellow

Hope this helps

read up on these links you can learn a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: