Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartment management problems, finally =)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soviet Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Apartment management problems, finally =) Reply with quote

Okay, I got a letter today that states:

Dear residents:
please be advised that we have received complaints from other residents that you have several cars parked in our parking lot that you are doing mechanical repairs to on a regular basis.

You are also running power cords through the windows of your apartment, which is a violation of city ordinances.

1. There will be no storage of vehicles allowed in our lot.
2. No vehicle maintence/repairs will be done on our property.
3. No electrical power will be run out from within our building.

We appreciate your residency at Vincent Court Apartments but expect that the above-mentioned requirements be abided by in order for you to continue your residence here.

=))))

Now what can I do about them? Does anyone ever experiensed something like this? Those bastards. There is a lot of crap going on here, so, if I'm being asked to follow "writen rules" to exact standarts, I shell expect the same from the other side as well. I have several ideas how to battle with them. Like we always had fire ants in the building. Treatments has been done but they are always there anyway. No, I could claim that is a violence of health code right? It's in the lease... Can I may be go to some government authority and ask them to do a check on this place, (to make sure they complain with the state regulations and so on)... It is also always cold here in the winter time, heater do not work, we used ellectrical and they lower the bill for that a bit.

Also, the situation:
I have 3 cars here at this time between me and my mother. A person next door has 2 only to himself. One of the cars is wrecked and covered. Then my BMW, and a Nissan truck I bought a week ago, currently it needs about 30 minutes work done, I was just in the middle of replacing timing belt in it.

Shouldn't there be a certain rights I have? Like where is that democrathy everyone is awlays screaming about? Well, I know such thing does not exist and never did, but I do not talk about it=) I should be able to repair my own car right? Well, okay I can accept "no power cords" rule... But everything else is a BS.

What do you think?

p/s may be I should get the gun out? Twisted Evil

1988 325is | 199k+ | First car (now s52 powered) Cool
1992 Saab c900 | 200k+ | Winter vehicle
1982 Virago xv920j | 25k+ | Cool
steevo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic may be better suited to the Chat room.
Mike 91 318ic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say but those are standard bylaws in all apartments and even most owned condos like mine. You can't win so save your energy. Personally I don't blame them, I wouldn't want to see that type of thing in my building either.

M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one thing you can do, and that is to follow the rules. Just remeber it is private property and they can have any requirement as long it does not conflict with the law or local code. If you do not follow it , your lease can be terminated, which will make it harder for you to get an other apartment.
There is apartments where you cant even park a truck, and at one loacation your car was considered abonded if it is not moved in a week and could be towed.

No gun will be needed.
Soviet Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People in what world are we living? This is nonsense. I just opened city codes and read a bit from it,.. Wow some one was deffinatelly on crack when they wrote it =) No grass can be higher then 5in. No inoperable vehicles may be stored on any property more then 96 hours and so on... How is that possible? Some one actually did ratify that?

Wink

Violation is everywhere... Nothing is belongs to no one, they do not even own the property it's city's stuff. At least if I will be following rules, I can create problems for them as well.

JRS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the young speak and speak loudly too...

It is clearly evident that you live in a somewhat posh apartment complex. Definitely not the ghetto otherwise your BMW and truck would be gone in the morning. In order to live in a nice neighborhood, rules are laid out and obeyed.

If you can understand this comment, you will understand why somethings are they way they are:

"We all love porterhouse or ribeye steaks but no one loves the butcher".

JRS

PS Fire ants are seasonal pests. They come and go but you'll never get rid of them completely.

Is your cup half full or half empty ?
85-325e

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be much of a consolation to you Sniper, but many condos have stiffer rules... At my father's place, he's not even allowed to WASH his car there, and they had no problem warnign the 84 year old man that he was breaking the rules.

If you could buy your own house, then you could live by your own rules for the most part, but there are STILL laws about what people see etc.

Soviet Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Law is goint to extremes, there is no ballance in society. In order to have good neighborhood you do not need stupid laws, you need to raise responsible generation of people who later will do the same in their life time.

Please do not try to educate me about means of life. Think simple, even better - do not think too much at all.

rj7hills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper - the only alternative to ordinances and complex rules is to move to the country (away from the city). Is it fair and just for others to impose their views and requirements? - not usually - free country and all that. Is it something we, as a society, accept and even participate in? - yep, afraid so.

For just these reasons my family chooses to live on land we own, and outside of subdivisions, apartment complexes, etc. I can pull extension cords through the windows and park all my vehicles where I want. As a tradeoff, I have to drive farther to work and to town for shopping, restaurants, etc.

Most unfortunate is the fact that the requirements the apartment complex has decided to enforce were part of the lease you signed when you moved into the apartment. Complain, moan and gripe to anyone who will listen, but in the end, you will have to comply to live in the complex.

Sometimes cities have garages that will rent workspace to the public. Maybe a local technical school?
Mike 91 318ic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the laws we're talking about are stupid at all... what you call responsible might very well be different than what someone else calls responsible. This is where the law comes into play, to set rules that are uniform for everyone. Generally it's pretty easy to abide by them. For example and from my point of view, my condo is worth $400k, there's no way in hell I want to see junker cars in the garage let alone repairs done in the garage etc. Same goes for the burbs, if you don't take care of your property it makes the neighbourhood less attractive. That's why you're not allowed to paint your house purple and pink with an orange fence, and have tall grass, and cars on blocks leaking oil etc... If your house has a garage fix your car in the garage, if it doesn't have a garage fix it in the drive way but do it quickly otherwise take it to the shop like most people. Not wanting to sound snobby but I guess that's the difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class.

my 2 cents
M

Soviet Sniper wrote:
Law is goint to extremes, there is no ballance in society. In order to have good neighborhood you do not need stupid laws, you need to raise responsible generation of people who later will do the same in their life time.

Please do not try to educate me about means of life. Think simple, even better - do not think too much at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soviet Sniper wrote:

Rules and Responsibility go hand-in-hand.

Anger gets the "better" of anyone. Try not to let it get yours.

And finally - My house, my rules. If you're renting - it's not yours and you can bitch/gripe/yell but ultimately they can evict you.

JRS

Is your cup half full or half empty ?
RobertR0000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a chat room? Laughing

BMWCCA Member
1993 ('92) 325i Cabrio (B)
85-325e

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper, this is the US, not the USSR!

I'm sure...

"The Ukraine girls really knock you out. They leave the West behind.

And Moscow girls make us sing and shout..."

- John Lennon (not Comrade Lennin) & Paul McCartney

I forgot how young you are. That was an early song by the Beatles, way before your time called "Back in the USSR!"

But, you're NOT Back in the USSR.. You're here. If it were so great there, you wouldn't be here instead! And, we survive by laws. One law is that when you sign a contract, you have to abide by the rules in that contract... And while there's a lot of fine print in most rental contracts, it's that fine print that usually defines the rules by which they're asking you to conduct yourself. My guess is that if you read your Mom's lease, it's pretty specific about what you can and cannot do. If that lease was signed, you, as a dependant of the lessee, are bound by those terms and agreements. If you're not sure, go to an attorney, waste the money to have him investigate, and then at the end, you'll probably come to the same result as all of us here have surmised, just several thousand dollars poorer.

Look, we're not trying to give you grief. You seem like a likable guy... But I, as well it seems as others up here, think you're fighting a losing battle. Find a good place to work on your cars and your condo complex won't complain.

robert1700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost a similar battle, its not worth your time and energy. I find that many people rent garages at storage places to work on cars.
little herculesE30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper,

Run for President and change the world. Rolling Eyes

And btw, go throw some "oil confetti" on that mess you made in the parking lot.

Abide by the rules or face the consequences comrade.
Vee have Vays of making you conform. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: