Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decisions decisions ... which Z to get (if either)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don C

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Decisions decisions ... which Z to get (if either) Reply with quote

Thinking about trading in my 1998 Buick Century for either of two Z3's available on a lot nearby. One is a blue 1997 with only 56,000 miles for just under $13,000. The other is a bright red 1998 with 110,000 miles for just under $12,000.

Both cars seem to be in really fine condition. Both have the 1.9 engine.

I'd be giving up some comfort (large car, smooth ride) for a hot little sports car. I THINK that is something I'd like to do.

Whadda ya think? The wife is a little concerned about the high mileage on the 1998, but the dealer is trying to convince me that these things last a long time (you'll be tired of it before it wears out).

Are these reasonably good deals? Anything I need to pay particular attention to?

Thanks

(My first post)

Don

abcde

Location: st augustine, florida - '86 es - 260,000 miles & '98 z3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Z3 Reply with quote

Welcome Don,

I,ve had my '98 Z3 since last June. It too has a 1.9 which is plenty powerful. My gas mileage stays at 30 mpg. I put a K&N air filter in it and it raised the mileage from 28 mpg to the current 30 mpg.
I couldn't be more pleased with this car. It had 42k when I got it. I bought it for $12,000. Well worth it.

I had an '86 325 ES prior to buying the z3. It had well over 260K miles on it and was still purring like a kitten. My opinion is that mileage in a well taken care of car isn't a big deal.

I was fortunate in that mine was a "Certified" used car and i bought an extended warranty for security.

I drive mine 70 miles a day to and from work. It is very comfortable and handles like a dream. It is a 6 speed.

If the ones you are looking at aren't "Certified", I would suggest taking it to a mechanic and having a scan run for about $60.00. Not too expensive for a bit of peace of mind. I wouldn't think a reputable dealer would object to this request.

Probably gave you more info than you need, but nobody on this forum gave me this kind of info and I was flying id the dark. Fortunately, I was lucky.

Good luck. Let me know if you thing of any other questions. Wink
Don C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

I committed and bought the blue 1997 with the lower miles. It actually felt a bit more comfortable than the 98. I had the dealer run a CarFax report, which tells me that the car has had seven title transfers. It started out in Florida and went to North Carolina and Ohio before settling in here in Louisville. No "dings" in the report.

I'll take it to my mechanic across the street from my workplace and have him give it thorough checkout, changing the oil and checking fluid levels.

This baby certainly takes up a LOT less room in the garage! I've hung the boot on the garage wall. It is fun to drive ... can't wait to get the top down! Waiting to get the code to reset the radio. It has a little bit of a "white noise" sound coming from the back end which I presume is drive train or differential.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: