Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd noise when accelerating in 5th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bambleweeny57

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Odd noise when accelerating in 5th Reply with quote

I hope this rings a bell with someone, because it's driving me nuts!

For a couple of weeks now, I've noticed a rapid crackling/clicking noise feeding through into the cabin while accelerating. It sounds almost like a gurgling sound or a muffled solenoid rapidly clicking. The noise occurs ONLY while accelerating, and ONLY in 5th (between 3000-3600 revs or 65-80mph). If I take my foot off the gas at any point, the noise ceases. If I change down to 4th, the noise disappears INSTANTLY(at the same revs and speeds) and only returns a few minutes after returning to 5th. I cannot get the noise in any othr gear at any other speed or any steady speed. It seems to be only related to engine load & acceleration. The noise typically takes about 10/20 minutes of steady freeway driving to start, but once started it's fairly persistent. It becomes more rapid/loud as the acceleration spurt progresses, until passing 80, when it vanishes.

I cannot pin it's location down at all, it just seems to emanate generally from the forward compartment, as if the dash is just acting as a sounding board feeding it into the cabin from where-ever it is.

I have an FCX-II code reader. I have no diagnostic warnings at the present, but several weeks ago just before this noise started I did get a "functional check purge valve" and a cylinder misfire warning. I cleared them to see if they would recur but so far they have not. This purge valve (13-90-1-433-603), was only (supposedly) replaced three months ago by my dealer.

Most recently I've noticed a slight high pitched whine accompanying the acceleration (increasing in pitch as the spurt progresses/speed increases). it seemingly comes from from beneath the cabin floor. Sounds like a pump struggling to me, but I'm no mechanic.

If anyones has clues as to what this could be or how to diagnose it further, that's be fantastic. I know the car's trying to tell me something, I'm just to dumb to understand.

Cheers
Paul

P.S.
My first thought, given the almost gurgling quality of the noise was A/C. It really does sound like a fluid/gas system reacting to a pressure increase by leaking/bleeding. So I tried every AC/fan related thing I could think of. Turned it off/on, fan low/high, recirculation on/off, temp up/down. It had no discernable effect on the noise, immediate or long term. It really does sound like stuff I've heard from an A/C before, I just can't explain the very strong gear/acceleration correlation or lack of A/C function correlation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: