Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Automatic T shape shifter handle installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seejayd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Automatic T shape shifter handle installation Reply with quote

I'm helping an old lady friend get back on the road again, so we purchased an old yet very nice E28 528 1982 Beamer! Its in very good shape, just need minor things such as new grip handle for the shifter. I got the T shaped shifter handle from Pelican Parts, now I can't figure out how to put the thing on. There is a pin inside of the head that is supposed to fit into a groove, but I dont know how to install, anyone have some creative ideas?

Also, I am looking for the knobs for the control panel; the ones that slide from low to high.

Please advise!

Thank you
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Boy Scouting for an old lady's E28 Reply with quote

Great work of charity, helping the old lady!
"Good deeds never go unpunished"

I have had good luck asking the BMW dealer's Service Dept when I have questions about repairing anything on my E28. If you buy the missing knobs from the parts department, and then ask for help getting the T-handle installed, you may find it is quite simple to get the answers you need. By the way, be specific when you ask for the knobs, rather than
Quote:
the knobs for the control panel; the ones that slide from low to high.
when you go to the parts guy, ask for the "Fresh Air slider knob" or whatever... since there are lots of things on a BMW that go from low to high.

My 2 centavos worth...
seejayd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: t-handle Reply with quote

My 2 centavos worth...

your 2 centavos worth helps millions! I'm laughing now about the "sliding things"! Smile Honestly didn't know what to call them. I'm still hoping that someone on this board will be able to help out.

Regarding "old lady friend" She's an angel who has done more for others as opposed to receiving for herself! so..why not help?

Its always the "right time" to pay it forward!

Thank you for your idea about going to the dealer and asking questions. I just don't like going to dealers, I always get ripped off, hence...I'm also known as Mr. FixIt
alanfp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to echo Mr Fixit's comments.

I think the dealer network here in the UK might be set up a little differently, but here, I have found that once you get to talk to the service guys themselves (might take a bit of sweet-talking the receptionist) they are more than happy to help. Even had one guy come out to my car with a voltmeter to check out whether the elements on my heated wing mirror were faulty.

Good luck.

PS Also echo his thoughts about helping other prople Smile
edjack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a screw in the front face of the handle. Look at this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=4181&mospid=47218&btnr=25_0131&hg=25&fg=15

BTW, there is no such thing as a "Beamer." It is a figment of the collective imagination of those living in LA.

A "Bimmer" is a car, and a "Beemer" is a motorcycle.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
seejayd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, there is no such thing as a "Beamer." It is a figment of the collective imagination of those living in LA.

A "Bimmer" is a car, and a "Beemer" is a motorcycle.

*then what on earth have I been driving?? A New Yarker will say Beamer, a Californian will say Bimmer and an Actor will say Caarr!
Ed Prasad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screw (torx) is on the front side of the handle. Put the lever in a low gear..(#1) for example, then use a short screwdriver with a #3 (i beleive) torx bit. It has about 10-12 points.
Remove the screw, pull out the old, and insert the new. Careful! there is a placticiky thing at the end.

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: