Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"clunky" shifting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drmitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: "clunky" shifting Reply with quote

Having never driven another Z other than the one I just bought (2000 2.5L 5 speed)...shifting from 1st to 2nd, I sometime hear and feel a bit of a "clunk" from behind me. If I'm very gentle with the clutch and shifter, I seem to avoid it but it's a much more delicate and conscious effort than shifting my 95 Miata with 170K miles on it was. Is this typical of the Z? Or do I have a problem. Thanks.
The Puffin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe its a typical BMW-thing, not just Z:s (but you sit closer to the problem in a Z3, so you hear it easier). From what I've heard most BMW develop this symptom after a few years. However, after a few weeks your shifting seems to adapt, so nowadays I dont hear much of it anymore.

However, this rubber disc between the transmission output shaft and the driveshaft (in Sweden it is called the "hardy disc") has eventually to be replaced. Check its condition.

This guide might help.

/Sven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: