Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e36 reinforcement kit

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mif_slim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: e36 reinforcement kit Reply with quote

anyone know of a place to weld the reinforcemtn kit for the e36?
McK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one? Rear subframe, rear swaybar, front subframe...?

None of them are THAT difficult, if you find a shop that has worked on E36's before. Front is more labor intensive than rear. Rear can be done in 4 hours.

"And also, let's not forget let's NOT forget, Dude, that keeping wildlife... um, an amphibious
rodent, for... um, you know, domestic... within the city. That ain't legal either."
mif_slim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McK wrote:
Which one? Rear subframe, rear swaybar, front subframe...?

None of them are THAT difficult, if you find a shop that has worked on E36's before. Front is more labor intensive than rear. Rear can be done in 4 hours.

all of them. I want to inforce all my weak points...can we do it ourselves?
McK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only done the rear and the sway bar. If you know how to weld, you could do it yourself. I wouldn't want to weld the rear subframe plates in under the car on jack stands, it was like a fireworks show from all the sparks the galvanized body metal was kicking out. The welding I would want to do from a lift. But the mechanical work - very easy overall. Just need a mix of tools (ie torx, grinder, etc) and air tools would save a significant amount of time. You'll basically pull down the entire rear end of the car, which is easier with shop tools than in a home garage.

Front I don't know.

"And also, let's not forget let's NOT forget, Dude, that keeping wildlife... um, an amphibious
rodent, for... um, you know, domestic... within the city. That ain't legal either."
mif_slim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McK wrote:
I've only done the rear and the sway bar. If you know how to weld, you could do it yourself. I wouldn't want to weld the rear subframe plates in under the car on jack stands, it was like a fireworks show from all the sparks the galvanized body metal was kicking out. The welding I would want to do from a lift. But the mechanical work - very easy overall. Just need a mix of tools (ie torx, grinder, etc) and air tools would save a significant amount of time. You'll basically pull down the entire rear end of the car, which is easier with shop tools than in a home garage.

Front I don't know.

Thanks, I know how to weld.. I just didnt want to pull out all that stuff.. man.. Im stump'd.. maybe I shouild just get a M3. haha but my 328 has given me lots of victorys at SCCA autoX....
McK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can only say - the rear reinforcements sound much more intimidating than they really are. Before the site conversion I had some photos of the process loaded up online, I think I still have them saved on car domain or some other host and I can load them here tomorrow if you'd like. It's a methodical process, but far from difficult. A lot of parts being disconnected, but really - just a bunch of nuts and bolts you're undoing. After I did the reinforcements I've done all the same work in bits and pieces for other jobs (clutch - required removal of the exhaust and disconnecting the drive shaft, suspension replacement, muffler replacement, broken halfshaft, broken lower control arm etc).

I'd say, if you can get a helper to assist in dropping some of the heavier parts (ie exhaust, differential) and you have some mechanical abilities, this should not be a tough job for you. Budget a full day and you'll probably come in under that.

And worse comes to worst, remember that you can always hire somebody to come and fix your mistakes Very Happy haha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: