Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Head & Neck Restraints

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Head & Neck Restraints Reply with quote

Saw an email (forwarded to me) recently that BMCCCA CR is requiring Head & Neck restraint systems in '06.

From the email:

Quote:
As of December 1, 2005, the following devices have been
approved under the SFI 38.1 standard:

HANS - (888) 426-7999 - www.hansdevice.com
R3 Device - (800) 731-4404 - www.lfttech.com
Hutchens II - (800) 731-4404 - www.hutchensdevice.com

Are any of you using these systems already? Are they required in your circuits? I was semi-familiar with HANS, but hadn't heard of the other two.

"And also, let's not forget let's NOT forget, Dude, that keeping wildlife... um, an amphibious
rodent, for... um, you know, domestic... within the city. That ain't legal either."
Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a HANS device. It's rapidly becoming the standard in the racing community world-wide. It's FIA and SFI certified, and personally, I wouldn't use anything else.

I've used it for 2 years now. It took a bit of getting used to (you do lose some rotational mobility), but it quickly becomes comfortable. I now feel naked in a car at speed without it, and I'll wear it any opportunity I have, even in a teaching situation. I certainly will never get in a race car without it now. Ironically, the only big shuntI've had so far was in the RIGHT seat teaching in a street car, so I couldn't wear my HANS. The car hit the wall head-on at a good clip, and my neck hurt like #%$^ for weeks.
07 335i, 91 318is, 87 325is race car #55 Pro-3
McK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you made it through that one ok!

Since you mentioned DE's, do you believe it's safe to wear the HANS in a car without a cage? Disregarding for now the debate about wearing 4- or 5/6-point harnesses in a car without a cage. I had only heard one person question it, and I am having a hard time envisioning a situation that would be made worse by using a HANS...

"And also, let's not forget let's NOT forget, Dude, that keeping wildlife... um, an amphibious
rodent, for... um, you know, domestic... within the city. That ain't legal either."
Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the harness in the car is up to the challenge, I couldn't imagine why it would be dangerous. The caveat is that you'd have to make sure the harness is installed properly in the street car, but that would be true if your were to use the harness without the HANS as well.
07 335i, 91 318is, 87 325is race car #55 Pro-3
cagedruss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my friends webstore. He is in Oregon and has a pretty good selection of Safe Stuff. His name is Charles, fellow Racer!

http://www.safedrives.com/products.asp?cat=82
Steve D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is 100% right - the HANS takes a couple races to get used to, but once you're used to it you won't feel 'right' racing without it. I always wait until I'm on the grid before snapping in the straps and unsnap the straps while pulling off of the track so that I can turn my head while driving through the pits.

They are expensive, but so are new necks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: