Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

building a SpecE30 racecar

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dale

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: building a SpecE30 racecar Reply with quote

In the non-NorthWest areas of the country, the SpecE30 looks like the most affordable way to go racing with a BMW.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/
http://spece30.northamericanbavarianracing.com/

Similar to the Pro3 buildup, but no coilover suspensions, specified H&R springs and Bilstein shocks/struts. Otherwise very similar.

Complete rules are found here:
PDF version of 2006 rules
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/SpecE30.pdf

Dale

Last edited by dale on Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:03 pm; edited 3 times in total

makaio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: building a SpecE30 racecar Reply with quote

I'm hoping this series makes it out here to the left coast. That's one of the reason I went with an E30. Over the next year I'm going to start building my car into a spec e30 race car
Steve D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: building a SpecE30 racecar Reply with quote

For reference, my investment-to-date in my spec e30 project is around $11k, including the cost of the car. I'm now down to only a few misc items (ie kill switch, fire supression, window net...), and we'll be done.
makaio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: building a SpecE30 racecar Reply with quote

Murph, is there a large contingent of Spec E30 cars in Southern California? Are you going to be running with NASA?
Steve D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: building a SpecE30 racecar Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no. There's normally less than a handfull of e30's at NASA events in SoCal. I've heard several rumors of people building spec e30 cars in SoCal, but have little along the lines of confirms. NASA has added spec e30 to the racegroups on the registration sheet for this season.

If you're looking at going this route you should check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpecE30, you can get a lot of good info here.
Steve D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: building a SpecE30 racecar Reply with quote

Clarification - I meant "no, there aren't many E30's at NASA events in SoCal", not "no, I'm not running with NASA". I just re-read my post & noticed it was a bit vague as to what I meant.
Steve D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been absent for a while & thought I'd post an update on spec E30 racing on the west coast. There are now officially 3 spec cars out in California: (mine) in SoCal and 2 in the Bay Area. The two up north are for rent on an arrive & drive basis (if interested let me know & I'll get you in contact). I raced with them at Buttonwillow this fall. In addition, I've seen pictures of 2 cars that are being built in NorCal. There continue to be rumors of others build cars for the series out here, but I have no confirmations on them.

I think it's entirely possible that we could have 5-7 spec cars on the grid this summer, which would be very cool (as long as I win!). Very Happy And once we do start getting cars out there I think that the series will grow quickly, as many seem to be sitting on the bench waiting for it to take off before committing to building a car.

BTW the website for spec e30 is spece30.com
Chuck Baader

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think the spec e30 rules are a very cheap way to go racing, my personal feelings are somewhat different If you want to only run Spec e30, by all means build to that level of preperation. However, if you want to be able to run SCCA, BMWCCA, VDCA, and NASA all with the same car, consider the SCCA IT rules as that level of prep can run all of the above, depending on the year of the car for VDCA....food for thought. Chuck
SCCA #36 E30, ITA
BMWCCA #36 E30, MP
Steve D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck - agreed. I've been racing with the BMWCCA in KP as well as with NASA. With NASA I've actually been running in GTS1 instead of spec so that I can go with wider tires, chip, and less weight vs. the spec regs. Once more spec cars start showing up on the grid I'll switch back over.

There's been some talk on the CR list (which I'm sure you've seen) regarding the SCCA vs. CR prep-class rules. I have -0- knowledge of SCCA rules, and no SCCA license, so I haven't really been following that discussion very closely. It sounds, though, like there are some things allowed in ITS that are not allowed in the prep-class rules? Is there a 20-word-or-less summary of what those items might be? Also, my impression is that SCCA does not allow the engine mods that KP allows. Of course, being built to the spec rules I have no engine mods either...

What is VDCA? I don't recall hearing that acronym before.
1989 325is spec e30 / KP race car #31
2000 M5
2001 Dodge Ram - the tow vehicle
Chuck Baader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCCA allows adjustabel fuel pressure regulators and 040 forged pistion that CCA does not. All other motor components must be stock along with the power steering. We have been building KP and MP cars to SCCA IT specs because we feel they are faster. The addidition of cams and springs does nothing if the compression is not increased. Therefore, we are sticking to stock cams (per SCCA rules) and building motors with more torque across a wider RPM band which makes for better lap times.

Since CCA accepts an once active IT car, it is relatively easy to build the complete package. Joining SCCA will be a requirment, however, since you have a CCA comp license you can get a SCCA novice permit and run SCCA if you wish. The clubs have recprocity and races count toward each organizations yearly activity. Any more questions let me know. Chuck
SCCA #36 E30, ITA
BMWCCA #36 E30, MP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: