Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ball Joint Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> How to use this BB, FAQ

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mriley1045

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Ball Joint Replacement Reply with quote

I have a 325ic...1987

While replacing the shocks I noticed a torn boot around the Ball Joint on the Control Arm at the location closest to the wheel . The parts shops sell an "outer ball joint" and an "inner ball joint" for the '87 325i. Does nanyone know which is the one closest to the break? ....I am guessing the "outer" but am not sure..

I am planning on replacing only the one bad joint .... a lot of folks seem to say that it is easier to replace the whole arm but getting the bushing on seems like a real project. And then you have to replace the bushings in pairs which means doing both sides......I think all the other ball joints are good.

Anyone know the name of the ball joint (inner or outer) closest to the wheel??

any advice or suggestions....?

Thanks...

wkhanna

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Ball Joint Replacement Reply with quote

The ball joint nearest the wheel is the outer. I recommend you replace both control arms and the bushings with M3 style offset.
Check out a dealer on eBay called Grotten for good prices. the job can be done over a weekend with fairly basic tools. Use the search and find info. I did mine about a month ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> How to use this BB, FAQ All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: