Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamminjames

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

A 25-year-old waitress who turned down a job providing "sexual services'' at a brothel in Berlin faces possible cuts to her unemployment benefit under laws introduced this year.

Prostitution was legalized in Germany just over two years ago and brothel owners – who must pay tax and employee health insurance – were granted access to official databases of jobseekers.

The waitress, an unemployed information technology professional, had said that she was willing to work in a bar at night and had worked in a cafe.

She received a letter from the job centre telling her that an employer was interested in her "profile'' and that she should ring them. Only on doing so did the woman, who has not been identified for legal reasons, realize that she was calling a brothel.

Under Germany's welfare reforms, any woman under 55 who has been out of work for more than a year can be forced to take an available job – including in the sex industry – or lose her unemployment benefit. Last month German unemployment rose for the 11th consecutive month to 4.5 million, taking the number out of work to its highest since reunification in 1990.

The government had considered making brothels an exception on moral grounds, but decided that it would be too difficult to distinguish them from bars. As a result, job centers must treat employers looking for a prostitute in the same way as those looking for a dental nurse.

When the waitress looked into suing the job centre, she found out that it had not broken the law. Job centers that refuse to penalize people who turn down a job by cutting their benefits face legal action from the potential employer.

"There is now nothing in the law to stop women from being sent into the sex industry," said Merchthild Garweg, a lawyer from Hamburg who specializes in such cases. "The new regulations say that working in the sex industry is not immoral any more, and so jobs cannot be turned down without a risk to benefits."

Miss Garweg said that women who had worked in call centers had been offered jobs on telephone sex lines. At one job centre in the city of Gotha, a 23-year-old woman was told that she had to attend an interview as a "nude model", and should report back on the meeting. Employers in the sex industry can also advertise in job centers, a move that came into force this month. A job centre that refuses to accept the advertisement can be sued.

Tatiana Ulyanova, who owns a brothel in central Berlin, has been searching the online database of her local job centre for recruits.

"Why shouldn't I look for employees through the job centre when I pay my taxes just like anybody else?" said Miss Ulyanova.

Ulrich Kueperkoch wanted to open a brothel in Goerlitz, in former East Germany, but his local job centre withdrew his advertisement for 12 prostitutes, saying it would be impossible to find them.

Mr. Kueperkoch said that he was confident of demand for a brothel in the area and planned to take a claim for compensation to the highest court. Prostitution was legalized in Germany in 2002 because the government believed that this would help to combat trafficking in women and cut links to organized crime.

Miss Garweg believes that pressure on job centers to meet employment targets will soon result in them using their powers to cut the benefits of women who refuse jobs providing sexual services.

"They are already prepared to push women into jobs related to sexual services, but which don't count as prostitution,'' she said.

"Now that prostitution is no longer considered by the law to be immoral, there is really nothing but the goodwill of the job centers to stop them from pushing women into jobs they don't want to do."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/01/30/wgerm30.xml
Rich Maddox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

This is all very interesting but any discussion of this subject would necessitate a foray into the verboten subjects.
jamminjames

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

I'm not sure - never really thought about it; that's why I posted it. It makes sense from a legal standpoint, but I would never let my better-half...

I wonder if Nevada's watching this...

Hmmmmm.
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

So... can prostitutes draw unemployment in Nevada if they got 'laid' off?
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Billo:

Darn good point! Talk about a slump in the job market...
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

Would that count as being hard up for work?
RedBaron86325

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

quote:

...or Workers' Compensation if they got knocked up?
markf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

What if I were to get a DBA, and employ myself as a prostitute Critic. Like the siskel & egbert of the sex industry.
I could go from brothel to brothel, and sampling all the women, so that my company could write up reviews on the girls... and then, lets say I went bankrupt. Could I get unemployment for not having sex with prostitutes...?

Ultimately.. this is the goal.
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

Quote:
Ultimately.. this is the goal.

Talk about life givin' ya lemons and making lemonaide!
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

quote:
Talk about life givin' ya lemons and making lemonaide!

Just as long as he doesn't end up with lemonAIDS after that line of work...
Rich Maddox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

This could lead to a revolution in healthcare. We all know that a healthy sex life is necessary to a long happy life. The hospitals could hire Nurse/Prostitutes of all genders and sexual preferences to attend to the specific needs of their patients.

This would give new meaning to the phrase: "I was laid up for a week".

This would also solve the problem of males who neglect their health.
markf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

Outstanding, Xman. I think you have something here. finally, men can get what they have always wanted all along from nurses. Probably the only part of hospital care that would actually be worth the money.
Rich Maddox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: ‘If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your b Reply with quote

Scene:
A room at M*st*rb*t**n G*n*t*l Wh*r*sp*t*l
A man is lying in a hospital bed reading.
Nurse enters from stage left and says:
"Good Morning Mr. Wang, it's time for breakfast. What would you like to eat"?...

85-325e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, playtime's over... let's put this one to bed Wink! Laughing

scrat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85-325e wrote:
OK guys, playtime's over... let's put this one to bed Wink! Laughing

i agree
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: