Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Francis Crick

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: RIP Francis Crick Reply with quote

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&e=5&u=/nm/20040729/ts_nm/people_crick_dc
JRS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: RIP Francis Crick Reply with quote

Not many people know that name but will always remember the DNA helix. Crick and Watson mapped the human DNA.

JRS
RedBaron86325

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: RIP Francis Crick Reply with quote

If anyone has an opportunity to study at the Salk Institute, do it. They have all kinds of intern programs thoughout the year dealing with all things chemistry, biology, and molecular biology. My genetics professor cured my classroom boredom by hooking me up in their molecular biology lab for 30 days. I learned and exerienced more in that 30 days than I could have ever hoped to learn in any classroom.
board_nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: RIP Francis Crick Reply with quote

Quote:
Not many people know that name

Or that the Nobel Prize winning paper was only 1.5 pages. Similarly, de Broglie's thesis that described the wave-particle duality of matter was absurdly short (and almost rejected). It also won a Nobel. Big ideas often fly below the radar
TnSlim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: RIP Francis Crick Reply with quote

Everyone knows names like Einstein, Fermi, Teller & Szilard, but so few have heard of Watson & Crick, Sturtevant & Bridges, and most of all, Thomas Hunt Morgan. We stand at the dawn to the age of genetic engineering and so few have ever heard the names of the pioneers who led us here. How ironic we so revere the destroyers but the life-givers fade into obscurity.
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: RIP Francis Crick Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim:
so few have heard of Watson & Crick

And even fewer have heard of Rosalind Franklin.
TnSlim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: RIP Francis Crick Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Roadstergal:
And even fewer have heard of Rosalind Franklin.

Roadstergal, do you number yourself among those who think Watson & Crick never would have discovered the double helix without Rosalind’s work?
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: RIP Francis Crick Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim:

Roadstergal, do you number yourself among those who think Watson & Crick never would have discovered the double helix without Rosalind’s work?

You can never say "never," but as things stood, I think their discovery owes a lot to her work. She was an extremely talented crystallographer, and succeeded where many had failed at the actual crystallization and analysis.
TnSlim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: RIP Francis Crick Reply with quote

I get the impression that the field was really cutthroat back then. When Bridges died, Morgan and Sturtevant burned all his papers. It can’t imagine the paranoia that would drive them to destroy something that historically significant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: