Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmie_Jazz

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

I had a most uncanny driving experience today. I drove non-stop to work. No, I
mean really, I didn't stop. Not even once. This may not sound like anything out
of the ordinary for some of you, but a 27-mile one-way drive through 23
stoplights and a normally traffic-congested merge point at a construction zone
without the wheels coming to a stop must be extremely rare. I mean, this is the
Dallas Metroplex for crying out loud! You are GONNA STOP, even if you are only
going down to the corner store for a six-pack. For those of you familiar with
the area, I drove from Lewisville to Richardson. This was WAY out of the
ordinary. I realized what was happening about ¾ of the way to work, and thought
that by recognizing it, I'd jinxed the spell my car had cast on its
surroundings, but the lights just kept changing! Even as I approached green
lights, they seemed to 'hang' at green until I went through! I never even ran a
YELLOW light! Now, I know that a lot of this (especially the lack of congestion
at a construction-zone merge point) is a result of school being let out here in
the DFW area, so all the soccer moms in their Grand Caravans and Suburbans were
not yacking on their cellphones while driving junior and princess to school,
but this still does not come near compensating for an entire commute without a
single red light until I arrived AT work. Unbelievable. My day has been charmed
by my car, my friends. It is truly the ultimate driving experience.

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
JRS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

Yo Jimmie!

I would have to say that today is the "vernal (sp?) equinox" (That one day when an egg balances on it's end) for cars. I drove from the Fry's Electronics Grand Opening (in Irving, TX) all the way to Hwy 377 and FM 1709 (aka Southlake Blvd). The only stop I had was in the beginning - before I turned into 635 (West).
My trip took me from 635 West to 121 South to 114 West/North to 1709 (w/at least 20+ stoplights) to 377 - - where a UP train had it's gates dinging and had me stopped.

I know the exact route you're mentioning.

Going TO Fry's Electronics this AM was horrible. I had to fight the worker bees (oh yea, that would be me too but I took a day off today).

JRS
MattB

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

hmmm....

so it's YOUR fault that i got stuck behind all the blue-haired old people in the 40-ft buicks and all the red lights.

:-)
JRS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt B:
... blue-haired old people in the 40-ft buicks ...
Red-hair. For 2004, it's red-hair. And the Lincoln Town Car is back in 'fashion'. Hey, if you can't get around them, at least learn their trend..

My parents are retarded (errr, I mean retired) in Florida.

JRS
donaldan

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

Years ago when I lived in New York (that is the city of Manhattan), I often drove through numerous traffic lights without having to stop because they had at that time synchornized green/red lights on north-south streets for 35mph traffic. I once crossed something like 36 consecutive intersections at a constant 35mph speed with continuous green lights. That was very satisfying. I wonder whether they still have that system. Many taxi drivers in that city caught on to that culture so that one can get a fast ride in an otherwise very congested city.
McK

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

Where in the city did you live? They most certainly still have that!! Parts of Amsterdam along the upper west side, and 2nd ave headed down from midtown I've taken many times. Oh what a wonderful feeling that is. It's funny when you get one of those cabbies who hasn't figured it out yet, floors it at the green only to have to brake at the next red and then floor it and brake and floor it and brake... and the same cab winds up next to you just cruisin' along.

Jimmie, you're livin the dream man.
donaldan

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

I lived in an apartment on 51st Street about 2 buildings away from Lexington Avenue. That was in late 1960's. I think the building has since been converted to office use.
MattB

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

Sorry JRS.

It's pretty sad I guess when you can't even keep up with the trends of the old people.
The ones near me must be REALLY old because most still have blue hair and some don't even color it so it has that icky yellow color.

Some have started driving those HUGE chevy cars that look like the late '90's impala SS models only bigger.
I see them and I want to start singing the theme song to Titanic... but then the nausea of thinking about Titanic kicks in and I break my eyes away and continue down the road.
McK

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by donaldan:
I lived in an apartment on 51st Street about 2 buildings away from Lexington Avenue. That was in late 1960's. I think the building has since been converted to office use.

Oops, actually Lex is what I meant to write, not 2nd ave, scary that I'm forgetting my NYC grid systema already.
Greenhornet84

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

Very cool, Dude. What makes me think you're going to pay for it?
Mark
Jimmie_Jazz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Semi-Charmed Life - Ultimate Driving Experience Reply with quote

It *is* all karma, isn't it? Hopefully, the 15-minute stop and go that I went through coming home that night cancelled it out, and harmonious balance has been restored to more than my tires. hehe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: