Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bratty Neighborhood Kids...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaturdayNightBimmer

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

quote:
by JRS:
Yo, Manero - ever get into a shouting match ?

It never gets that far with me. Most people don't raise their voice when "discussing" a matter. I stopped fighting at 18 when I knew I could end up in the penitentiary.
Quote:
by JRS:....as an adult over 18, can get a bigger deal if you do lay a hand on them.

C'mon JRS, as a father, I would never hit a kid. Please, you're killing me here.
Quote:
by JRS:You're paranoid... check-mate.

Naw chief, just REALISTIC.If you're not paranoid, then you're NAIVE. In my neighborhood if somebody does something malicious and/or vandalous, and I get a hold of them, then they'll never do it again. I do have a way of speaking with folks that tends to get my point across in a very serious manner.

"Hot Dog parties" and "Round Up" for the neighborhood are wonderful, if you have the time and the interest. But think of this....When little Joey chokes on that Koscher dog and dies on your lawn, guess who's LIABLE? You! When little Lisa down the street has an allergic reaction to the weed killer you sprayed all over her lawn, and goes into a coma, guess who's going to get SUED? YOU! Say good bye to your portfolio, your home, and your Mercedes.

Maybe they don't have lawsuits where you live, but in my world, it is a very litigious society.

Oh boy, game, set, and match to SNB!

panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

OH THE EXCITEMENT! An internet verbal chess match.

I hope this one doesn't get yanked....I promise not to link to any gay message boards.
JRS

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

And that's why I make sure every kid who drops by to eat with the rest of the gang asks their parent if it's ok with them. I don't want to spoil their lunch/dinner and any allergies are told to me beforehand.

I left Chicago (aka "the badlands") over 11 years ago. For the first 2-3 years, the "Chicago" attitude was with me until I realized that my neighbors where truly kind-hearted. I moved from that 'hood 7 years ago and into this new one. It was a new subdivision and consisted of folks from Detroit, Michigan, Manhattan, Los Angeles, and Chicago. No one cared about the other one. Until we all realized that had to change.

Your world is what you make of it. Excessive force or cunning abilities will be dominant but will not always prevail.

Which reminds me of a good parable:

The Fox and the Scorpion
========================
At the edge of a riverbed was a cunning fox and a poisonous scorpion. They both had to cross the river but clearly the scorpio knew that he would not be able to do so.
As the fox was about to start crossing, the scorpion asked: "Can I ride on your back?". "Why would I let you do that ? You'd sting me after we crossed.", the fox said.
"On my honor, I will not sting you." retorted the scorpion. So, the fox hesitated for a moment and agreed to help the scorpion cross.
As they were half way through the river, the scorpion suddenly lurched and stung the fox. Shocked, the fox yelled: "Why did you do that for ? Now we'll both drown!"
The scorpion glared into the eyes of the fox and commented: "I'm sorry. It's my nature."
Both died.

It's hard to change our nature and to change the way society has built itself. But as long as you intentions are honest and true, you can change your nature.

Bring me back to Chicago and I'll show you the definition of "Bad-A$$". But I no longer live there. I choose to change my neighborhood for the better. My 'scorpion' is buried deep and will not come out unless the situation endangers my family or my neighborhood.

I am at peace. My neighbors are great. I cannot ask for more. If what I did does not work for you. So be it. Use what works for you.

What I see here is a classic case of "Hem and Haw" (from the book "Who moved my cheese?"). Anyone else but me see the similarities ?

JRS
JRS

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by SaturdayNightBimmer:

.. Say good bye to your portfolio, your home, and your Mercedes.

Maybe they don't have lawsuits where you live, but in my world, it is a very litigious society. ..

I live in the same society. But I do have an "umbrella". For those that don't know what an "umnbrella" is, let me know and I'll explain. For small change, it provides financial security.

JRS
MattB

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

ok i'll bite.

what is an umbrella?

(why do i get the feeling this is where someone says "a tool to keep the rain off HA HA HA HA HA?")

JRS

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

There's no such thing as a stupid/silly question. You just look silly if you don't have an answer... so it's good to ask if you don't know...

Here goes...

Umbrella Insurance
==================
"An umbrella insurance policy can cover excess liability on an individual or family, protection that is not typically covered on a homeowner or auto policy. "

"..."There is no requirement to carry umbrella insurance," ... Insurance and legal experts note that lawsuits are on the rise, and the amounts awarded are growing, too. "

For a great article on Umbrella Insurance, Click Here.

Umbrellas are good for people with swimming pools, houses near schools (kids running and tripping on lawn gadgets), and for people who have a considerable amount to lose.

I learned about Umbrella Insurance back in Chicago when someone slipped and broke their hip on a patch of ice. The homeowner was sued for not having his sidewalk 'properly' shoveled. He was sued for $1M. He never flinched when he was sued. But then again, he never mentioned that he had an Umbrella Insurance. That save him from getting his house taken.

For those that live in the Chicago area, go look up the SunTimes or Tribune for this article. It happened back in late 1980's. Since then most Chicagoans don't shovel their sidewalks. Why? Because an unshoveled sidewalk is considered untouched and hence "an act of God". And no one has successfully (or dares to) sued God.

There ya have it... now you know how to protect yourself in this litigation-craved society. Now you're informed about something non-related to E30's.

JRS

[ 05-24-2004: Message edited by: JRS ]

[ 05-24-2004: Message edited by: JRS ]
MattB

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

hmmmm.
interesting.
I appreciate the info.

I'm still hoping for the day when frivolous (asinine) lawsuits like that get out of control and finally people take to the streets with their shotguns and make sure that kinda crap comes to a screeching halt.

...and uh, by the way, there sure as HELL is such a thing as a dumb question. :-)
board_nerd

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

Quote:
there sure as HELL is such a thing as a dumb question. :-)

No dumb questions; just dumb people
MattB

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

he he he.

but does that mean dumb people can ask non-dumb questions?
SaturdayNightBimmer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

JRS, I hear what you're saying. I can appreciate and understand it. We live in different areas with different attitudes. Both points taken on both sides.

I hope that umbrella is a 68" golf size umbrella! I think my history in repossession and corporate security tends to make me look over my shoulder repeatedly. I have to remind myself that not everyone is a "perp." Exit strategy complete.
JRS

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by SaturdayNightBimmer:
... I have to remind myself that not everyone is a "perp." Exit strategy complete.
Living in Chicago, I painted everyone as having something against me (in one way or another). For the past 9 years it's been reverse. Everyone had something good to offer and was only considered a 'perp'/a-hole if they truly were one. I know one guy who just lives a 'bad day' every day because he chooses to.

I now avoid that guy.

Manero, It takes all kinds to make this world go 'round.

JRS
MattB

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

YA BUT THERE'S ONLY ONE TONY MANERO WITH THE CRAAAAAZZZZYYYY FAT KID!!!!!!!!!!!

LONG LIVE THE FAT KID!

...there's gotta be a story behind that...

...maybe another lounge post?
dale

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

Matt B, please don't bring up the fat kid. There is a post that won't last long.
MattB

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Bratty Neighborhood Kids... Reply with quote

he he he.
you got it.

seems i'm the only one who loves the fat kid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: