Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dale created a beast!

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkbrouwer

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Dale created a beast! Reply with quote

Dale, While your intentions were good in creating the "lounge", these politically troubled times are playing havoc with our otherwise (fairly) stable board. I for one have decided to agree on disagreeing when it comes to politcs, and you will find me on the e30 board only.
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Dale created a beast! Reply with quote

On Bimmerfest, the Politics board is a subforum of the Off-Topic board.

Ah, how complicated it gets, so quickly!
patrick66

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Dale created a beast! Reply with quote

Go to www.stovebolt.com if you REALLY want to see spirited political debate on an auto entusiasts board ('11-'72 Chevy & GMC trucks). Yeah, I have a couple of them, too! Click on their Lounge. They have the same forum provider this board has.

These discussions on the BMW board "ain't squat!" compared to the discussions there ! Go if you dare!!!

[ 05-12-2004: Message edited by: patrick66 ]
BD325ic

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Dale created a beast! Reply with quote

I think the Lounge was a natural extension of the Technical Forums and was a good idea. I hope the moderators leave things alone unless someone truly gets out of hand.

Prior to the creation of the Lounge, some disputes occurred in the individual forums. Politics, among others, can be a volatile subject and some disagreements were to be expected. I can't think of any situation or environment where confrontation can be avoided 100%, that's life!

I agree with SNB above, we're all in control of the mouse on our computers. Where you point and click and how you participate is entirely up to the individual.
jcrim

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Dale created a beast! Reply with quote

To keep political discussions from getting out of hand, perhaps dale could begin to lock troublesome threads. I think some political discussion is healthy, but its easy to tell when a thread has run its course and gotten out of hand.
SaturdayNightBimmer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Dale created a beast! Reply with quote

"Judge Schmells, is looking for a caddy, Danny Newnan?"

Love the screen name. Favorite film.

I believe we don't need "iron fist moderating" in the lounge. If the topics keep going, it's because people keep continuing to point, click and respond.

The whole thing of "locking a topic" feels so "grade school." If someone doesn't like a topic, they don't have to click on it, and they won't be affected. That makes sense, right?
jcrim

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Dale created a beast! Reply with quote

Glad you like the sn.

I agree with you about 'iron fist moderating'. That wasnt really what I was talking about. It's not really a problem here; but on the larger forums I frequent polictical debates can quickly grow to 20-30 pages. Often, people are no longer continuing the point of the original post, but are perpetually defending their paradigm emotionally. When a political discussion deteriorates to consist of only people making and rebutting general poltical ideas, its time to lock the thread. It's a matter or board space, not free speech.
Luckily I'm not a moderator here
SaturdayNightBimmer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Dale created a beast! Reply with quote

Gotcha Newnan, now "I'd like you to meet my niece, Lacey Underall." "I think I have enough butter now..."

I could see an "Ok guys when it hits 100 posts, it's gone." I could understand that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: