Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much would you want?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

How much money would somebody have to offer you for you to take a civilian position in Iraq..?

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: markf ]
JRS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

$500,000 with $25K signing bonus and a $2M Life Insurance with my family as full beneficiaries. And my job would be located near the Kurds.

JRS
patrick66

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

I've been to Saudi Arabia many times and all over the Middle East (except Iraq) close to 30 times since 1982. I was in Saudi as a civilian contractor when 9/11 hit. I decide at work the next day when a Saudi national pissed me off with his commemts that I would have nothing to do with those people ever again. The company was going to offer close to $4K/week if I'd stay another three months, I said "Hell, no!" and was on a jet to London that Friday. Hell would have to freeze over first before I'd accept any amount of $$$ to go back. Iraq may not be too bad a deal, from all accounts, but most of the rest of that part of the world can get stuffed! If it weren't for oil, they'd be Somalia! No, thanks!
JRS, your deal would be a great starting point! Actually, that'd be a "take-it-or-leave-it" offer in my world!

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: patrick66 ]
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

My dad just took a civilan job in Baghdad. He has a PhD in economics and business, and his company (staff: him, and sometimes me and my sibs) works to foster small business development and sustainable economic growth in unlikely areas. He's been all over Russia and the former USSR, all over Africa, the middle and Far East, and has worked with small business incubators in the US. He did the numbers for the Purchasing Manager's Association of Chicago for 28 years, and is ceasing with that to take this job.
markf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

Well... it looks like Im going to get an offer, maybe this week. It certainly won't be half a million tho.. heheheh!!
JRS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by markf:
Well... it looks like Im going to get an offer, maybe this week. It certainly won't be half a million tho.. heheheh!!
But it wouldn't hurt to 'ask'. Who knows, you might get it. or at least get a chuckle from them.

JRS
k1hb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

It all depends on age, i think.

I spent 4 stints in Yemen and got bombed and shot to smithereens.
Arabs are extrrrremely poor shots! When the Ilyushins came for their bombing runs, the word was "stay close to the truck"....egyptian pilots! when the Migs howled overhead it was: run for your life away from the 55 gallon gas empties....east german pilot who love to target practice on things that go boom!
i still long for the extraordinary romance of desert warfare and for the breathtaking beauty of some of that country, like the Hedjaz in winter snow, or the colour of the back mountains of Hadramout, riding huge dunes in the rub al khali with the 4x4 or snorkeling with sharks in the red sea off Djeddah....paradise lost!
Just for that love alone we should take over the saudi oilfields.
Tourism was never open there, we hadc diplomatic passports, and of course Jews were not wellcome anywhere, neither christians or even their symbols: I had to hide the red cross flag we flew! this will never change, the other reason to pry open that can and let out the snakes.
Last reason to go and shoot it out there: Teach the boyz there how not to dress and pee like a woman. Thats their downfall, thats why they hate us: Lack of zippers.....

Fred
markf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

Fred..
You tell a hell of a story..
when were you there?
k1hb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

I was a comm officer for the intl red cross in yemen 63, 65, 66 and 67. this was before satellites of course, morse code, no computers. we tried to save/visit war prisoners behind enemy lines and took pictures of the more egregious things they did for amnesty, like decapitating prisoners and parading their heads on spears at the entrance to Sanaa, the capital. or quartering prisoners: left wrist tied to left ankle on jeep hitch one, right wrist tied to right ankle on jeep hitch two. first gear....ugly!
in between missions i passed my mcat and made md in 71.
i got shot in an ambush in 67, left for dead, lost my left arm, so no, no surgeon! had a hard time crawling out of that hole....no date for a while! Bot myself a BMW 327 convertible 1937, fixed it up with a friend .... instead of jumpin off a bridge....made it to asst prof here at Harvard.
Now I own three 325iC's, one red, one black, one white. wife sez two have to go. cant decide which goes first....life is so unfair, boo hoo!

Fred

[ 03-05-2004: Message edited by: k1hb ]
toolman7672

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

• null
    Quote:
    wife sez two have to go. cant decide which goes first....life is so unfair, boo hoo!

Did you mean the wife or two Bimmers
    Billo
    Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

Fred,

Reminded me of this:

Bill

---------------------

k1hb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

sweet!

f
    JRS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

quote:
    Originally posted by markf:
    How much money would somebody have to offer you for you to take a civilian position in Iraq..?

Ok, read this
    CNN News Article (March 31, 2004)and then tell me again your answer to "How much?".

JRS
    scpmarine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

Well I have been to Iraq, and guess what I got tax free pay, and an extra $300, thats is it. But I had a blast, except for tha part of the sand blowing in my face. But then agian I am not a civilian. ALLWELL. I get to got to France in a couple months. MARINE SECURITY GUARD duty. That is going to be a blast. PLUS, i will make more than an extra 300, try about 1200.00. Sounds alot better to me!!!!
    markf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: How much would you want? Reply with quote

My colleague landed in bagdad last week.
    Just got this from him yesterday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Page 1 of 4

Jump to: