Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
board_nerd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

Quote:
Is Howard Stern even jewish?

Stern's Jewish. But not Orthodox, whom he calls "super-Yids." I grew up listening to him (way before his TV show...). He would play upon his ethnicity, and had a funny shtick imitating his mother calling him 'Howit.' Of note, I don't think either Howard or Iron Mike are A-holes. They're New Yorkers. I'm not going to be an apologist for either one, but what you see is what you get -- they don't claim to be something they're not, like e.g. Sting or Bono. I respect that
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

You can debate Howard, but Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist, and that leaves nothing to debate about in my book.
SaturdayNightBimmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by board_nerd:

Stern's Jewish. But not Orthodox....

Howard Stern's site

Stern is a self proclaimed "half-Jew."
As said before, like him, his show, what he does, etc. OR not, do check out some of the articles on his website. VERY INTERESTING reading for those with the ability to ingest further information on what's going on in the FCC/radio indecency battle.
markf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

Whoooa..! Henry..!
you had me worried there for a minute..
But while were on the subject.. How is it that I came to be circumsized..?
Im not Jewish. You guys didnt hold one of those rituals in Pasadena, California.. back in 1955, did you...?
..And a Bar-b-Que?
..With all the trimin's..?

as for being provocotive.. I believe I started that. Apologies..

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited by: markf ]
Greenhornet84

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

Some Notes:

To Xman and Tony:
The Right, see Frankie and MarkF's posts on this thread. These people think diferently than you and I do. Just turn the channel dosn't work for them because they want to control what the great unwashed masses have access to. Pat Robertson and the 700 Club are OK. Probably Rush and Sean too. MTV and Victoria's secret are not.

To Roadstergal:
Thanks.

To MarkF: What's with the Jewish thing? If you had a problem with my behavior would you refer to me as a 3rd generation Irish Catholic, or just an ass.hole?
I'll tell ya Mark, the majority of the people who signed the Declaration of Independance were not Christians, they were Deists. They belived in God, not Jesus. Read some history.
I enjoy a good discussion but not revisonist history. The Right has taken the White House and now they're going to save to World. At what price?
markf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

To MarkF: What's with the Jewish thing?

I was profiling.. I already apologized. Will you be needing an exclusive apology..?

If you had a problem with my behavior would you refer to me as a 3rd generation Irish Catholic, or just an ass.hole?

I already have a problem with your behavior.. But you have the right, and I defend that. Im not going to profile you as another mick, trying to pick a fight, after the fact, so ...I'll go with ass.hole on this one. But I mean that in the nicest possible way.

I'll tell ya Mark, the majority of the people who signed the Declaration of Independance were not Christians, they were Deists. They belived in God, not Jesus. Read some history.

Diests believe that God abandonded his creation.. Whatever.. seems Im in the right place... Im not a christian either. But this is beside the point of the religious beliefs of our forefathers coming to bear on the countries framework. I believe what they did was bear in mind the decencies of the times,which are/were common in most religions.. but making none preferential thru legislation. Common decencies which some appear to be willing to discart in the name of freedom.
C'mon Mark.. where does it end. Should pediphiles have their own show?
Should child sodomy be viewed as an art, and permitted as freedom of expression?
Oh.. and Thomas Paine does not constitute the majority of the signing individuals. Where do you get your information..? Id sincerely like to have a look. Im intrigued.

I enjoy a good discussion but not revisonist history.

I do read history.. so I ask you, who's to say what is revised.. when its all a matter of inturpretation..?

The Right has taken the White House and now they're going to save to World.

As a member of the right.. i think that is yet to be seen. But the world be damned. Im more concerned with people using this nations frame work to justify anarchy.

At what price?

..are we counting the American dead from ALL wars.. or just the one you dont like..?

[ 04-27-2004: Message edited by: markf ]
Greenhornet84

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

OUCH! You're right. I don't like wars. And I especially Don't like this one. Sadamm was a Piece of s>hit. But Ttat dosn't justify our war of agression. It's up to the Iraqie people to determine the government they want. What if they vote for an Islamic Regime run by the Clergy? We're talking abot ****es, Sunis And Kurds. Seriously, do you know anything about these three different cultures?
This asministration started this war using three premises:
1} That ex=patroitt Chalabi, who had been living in the US for 20 years was to be welcomed as a retuurning Savior. And that he would be electted as the new President and all would right with the world.
2) This war wouldn't ccst us a dime bucause Iraqi oil -at 5 Billion a year- would pay for the war. Sort of like in '92 when we fought the war and the rest of the world paid ffor it.
3) Once we knock down the initial restiance, the Iraqis will welcome us with open arms.

That's what Wofiwithz, Cheny and Bush actually believed.
Now we have ovr 700 dead and 20,000 wounded Americans and we don't know the number of Iraqi dead.
markf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

Mark... Agreeed.
The whole thing stinks to high heaven.
The war went off as well as any war could. It was quick, and with relatively few casualities, but since we didnt have a solid post war plan.. and the whole thing is a mess now, and casualties that were avoided at first, are mounting up now.

We really botched what could have been historically, a good thing. In light of the greatness of this nation, Im left with an enormous dissapoinment over how this was handled.

The degree of looting that occured after sadams fall indicated to me, right there, that we went in 'all guns', and 'no plan'.

Id fire Bush.. if there was somebody to replace him.

I have one big vote, right here in my pocket, for Colin Powell, if he ever runs..
Greenhornet84

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

MarkF,
Amen to Colin Powell but the republican party won't nominate a Black, a woman, a Catholic or a Jew in my lifetime.
I agree to dis agree about the start of the war butwe seem to agree that the aftermath is a disaster. Under the Administrations plan,the Iraqis were to be throwing Rose petals, not road side bombs. What do we do now? I agree with fire Bush (Wofowitz, Cheney abd Rumsfeld). Does anyone thik the UN will take this mess from us? And does anyone deny that the US has a moral and legal responsibility to at least try to set Iraq on the road to self government? As expensive as it going to be, our President started this mess.
I glad we're still talking.
Mark
markf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

Mark..
Im glad were still talking as well.
the nation is divided. We need to talk more now than before, in an honest effort to find common ground, and work from there.

I believe your mistaken on the issue of a black president. It was my understanding that Colin Powell was offerd the nomination after Norman Schwarzkopf turned it down.

I dont know a single republican that wouldnt vote for him twice.
Christ.. he has a genious I.Q. , and is a self made man, who climbed up out of poverty, slugging it out thru the racial barriers.. to hold the highest military rank, and now .. secretary of state.
There isn't an incumbent who doesn't look like a clown, standing next to this guy.
The man is dripping with logical, and intellectual leadership.. His appearence reflects this as well. He LOOKS like the intelligent statesman that he is. (very important in todays media driven world)

for a good laugh, find a picture of Colin Powell, standing next to Ted Kennedy.
'ol Ted looks like 'Pizza the Hut'.

Anybody who wouldn't vote for Mr. Powell, simply because he is black.. should have their human rights revoked and be sumarily executed.

Id follow the guy over a cliff.

..guess I'm ramblin at this point. heheh.. sorry. I get fired up. The nation desperatly needs this guy in the drivers seat.. and he's not even on the ballot.. which tells me, regardless of the election outcome, its gonna be another 4 years of disapoinments.

All I can do, is go to the polls and pic a flavor.
SaturdayNightBimmer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by markf:
I dont know a single republican that wouldnt vote for Colin Powell twice.
Christ.. he has a genious I.Q. , and is a self made man, who climbed up out of poverty, slugging it out thru the racial barriers.. to hold the highest military rank, and now .. secretary of state.
There isn't an incumbent who doesn't look like a clown, standing next to this guy.
The man is dripping with logical, and intellectual leadership.. His appearence reflects this as well. He LOOKS like the intelligent statesman that he is. (very important in todays media driven world)

Anybody who wouldn't vote for Mr. Powell, simply because he is black.. should have their human rights revoked and be summarily executed.

All I can do, is go to the polls and pic a flavor.

Wow Mark, this is exactly how I feel! You nailed that one.

[ 04-30-2004: Message edited by: SaturdayNightBimmer ]
Greenhornet84

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

MarkF & Tony,
Sorry, revionist history again. If you'll look up the news archives, 10 days before the New Hampshire primary , a ton of Republicians came out and said that Powell would have to be vetted like any other Rebublician, AND was Powell really an R. These included Gingrich, the former president Bush and Tom Delay. He was going to get no support from the Republician party.
To be honest I'm not convinced that Powell could be elected President on the Democratic ticket. In 1964 Lyndon Johnson, after he signed the Civil Rights Act, said the Democratic Party would never again win the Presidency on what he called "the white mans vote". He wasright. No Democrat has been elected president since LBJ witj a majority of the white vote.
Mark
SaturdayNightBimmer

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

You sure love that term "revisionist history." What part about Colin Powell being a smart black man who has earned respect is not jiving with you?
Greenhornet84

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

Tony,
I have NOTHING against Colin Powell. I'd be his campaign manager for free. He seems tobe one of thefew inthis administration who was against the war and had the balls to speak up.
As for markf's assertion that he dosn't know a republician who would't vote for him twice, I'm an east coast democrat and I don't know a republican who would vote for him ever.
Curious idea. Go back to the begining of this thread and see where at least 4 of us found common ground.
Mark
dale

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: IS OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH DISAPPEARING??? Reply with quote

This is becoming interesting. I'd vote for Powell also. I don't think we'd be in Iraq with Powell at the helm, and I think we would have gone into Afghanistan _sooner_ if he was running the show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: