Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do you love these cars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenhornet84

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

Bimmer_Boy opened an interesting thread when he asked "What do you do". There were what I expected, guys putting themselves through school, enjoyed good cars, and knew how to fix them. The equation was Bright kids can keep good old German cars running and still have fun.
Myself, I needed a tuition car when my Marquis died at 345K (2 engines, 2 trannys) I was in a world of hurt with 3 kids in post secondary education. I responded to an ad for a guy who had esssentially grown out of his 325 into a caddy. It looked rough, but turn the key and it sounded like my '62 1800 ti. B cars just sound different.

But Bimmer_boys informal survey brought out a Doc, various software engineers, a mechanic who puts himself down for doing honest labor, and other catagories of labor or no labor ( we have investment bankers on this board).
A lot of these guys could afford a lot more car. I had a discussion with my son (528) last year about pulling a very recoverable 7 seris car out of the junkyard but came to the conclusion that finding parts would be exorbitant.
Sorry I was long on this, but this is the Lounge. Why do you guys and gals baby these cars, espically you guys who could afford better. (That may be the question, are new cars better?)
Mark
donaldan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

The E30 fits the bill for a sporty daily beater. I haven't yet found another 4-dr sedan that matches it within that low price range.

My 1991 325i rides high which I like, yet small enough to maneuver in town and squeezes easily into any tight parking space.

The relatively powerful, smooth and reliable 6 cylinder engine is built like an ox.

The whole sporty suspension system is way ahead of its time.

Service is easily available if I can't do it myself. Discount parts are easily available and surpisingly reasonable.

Its distinctive style is classically understated, an ageless beauty.

You see superior design and engineering throughout the car. Build quality is unsurpassed for its class. It is head and shoulder above its peers.

Yes, it can become a love object.
board_nerd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

New cars to old cars is apples to oranges. What's better than driving the car you want to drive? In my case, driving three of them, for far less than the cost of a brand new one. I recently test drove an E46. Fun car. But my E36 is just as fast and has about the same # of bells and whistles. I'm a firm believer in at least two cars: 1 to beat around (E30), one with an old school feel (E21), and one with a bit more power and comfort (E36). I like the E46 body style, and I'll likely upgrade at some point
JRS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

Before the E30, I've had all sorts of vehicles:

Chevorlet Caprice Estate (1978)
Nissan Maxima (1985)
Nissan Sentra (1987)
Volkswagen Rabbit (1983)
Volkswagen Rabbit (1986 Wulfsberg ed.)
Dodge Neon (1998)
Mercury Villager (1997 Nautica ed.)
Mazda Miata (1990)
Mazda RX-7 (1982 & 1983)
Mercedes C280 (1995)
Volvo 240DL (1983)
Mercedes ML320 (1999)
Mercedes ML430 (2000)

I've always thought that the Miata had great handling and the RX-7 had a great 'powerband' in 2nd gear. That was all 'blown' away when I took a gamble and bartered for the E30 (I did a quick 20-page website in exchange for my E30).

I agree - The E30 is a great daily 'beater' car just like Donaldan mentioned. But that M20 engine just won't give up. The in-line six is rather easy to work on. Spark plugs are a breeze to change. The car is roomy enough for four (4) and I really don't know if "automatic" drivers of the E30 really 'know' the capabilities of this car.

Since obtaining the E30, I've put in:

K&N mass airflow system
Sparco front strut bar
BMPD High-perf spark plug wires
A Performance chip
Yokohama YZ410 tires
Replaced everything that needed to be replaced while performing a Timing belt change
Rear shock mounts
Engine mounts
Rear trunk seal

Long story short: This E30 is rugged, sporty, and fun to drive. I redline and it books. Powerbands are in 2nd and 3rd gear.

It's a great 17-year-old car.

JRS
Jarvis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with everything that's already been said. What I'd like to add is that E30's are the perfect "driver's car". They're an ergonomic dream. Everything is where you want it while driving. Right down to having the dash angled toward the driver's seat, and red dash lights that are easy on the eyes at night.
For under $3K, anyone can find a fun, safe and sporty car that's reliable. How many other cars can you find for that type of money that come with: quick acceleration, good top end speed, excellent handling, ruggedness and reliability, classy Euro styling, ABS, 4-wheel disc brakes (some NEW cars still don't offer this standard!), LSD differential, OBC, self diagnostic check (panel and Motronic 1.1 codes), wonderful ergonomics, leather interior, pretty good gas mileage, it's easy to work on and small enough to scoot nimbly in traffic. Some of those attributes are only found in some E30s (referring specifically to my 325is), but we get the point, right? Damn RWD is fun. I'll never own a FWD car ever.
Greenhornet84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

Jarvis,
My wife's Delta 88 is more fun in the snow than my 325. It goes but mine dosn't.
Mark
robsure71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

My E30 ragtop came from one of my students almost two years ago after looking for a fiver for some 3-4 months. Ended up walking down the road (we're rural) to pick it up.

My daily driver, and fun car with the top down. Only my 10th car in 38 years. This baby should be around for a while since I put 110K on a Pinto wagon back in the 70s.

Convertible is so nice in the Mtns, this six pulls great up the hills and on the flat which we have a lot of when you go east or north.
This is quite a treat for me since my last car/van was an Aerostar with 219K on it. Fun factor is much higher now.
Kyzee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

I hope I am not going OT with my comment, but I bought my 88 325i in August 02 after consulting this board. So far I am agreeable with most that have been said above in regards to the E30. The only thing I find lacking with my E30 is the suspension. I have changed all the absorbers (Bilstien TCs), mounts, ball-joints and bushings. Have not changed the control are tho. Having being driven in an E34 before, I find the suspension on the E34 to be way better than that of the E30...I believe Donaldon will attest to that. And a good E34 are quickly falling into the price range of 3-4k nowadays.

[ 02-11-2004: Message edited by: Kyzee ]
donaldan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

There is no doubt that the E34 is a more substantial car compared with E30 but for personaly reasons, I prefer E30 for my daily beater. I am a small person measuring only 5'6" tall. The E30 fits me perfectly. Yes, it is a harder riding car than E34 but still well within acceptable range for mostly smooth road driving. Sporty feel of the road excites me. I also own an E39, the successor to the E34 but I seldom use it for daily driving. My preference is to use the E39 only for long distance travel. I also drive a Ford cargo van for business for the last 20 some years, so you can see cushy ride is not quite in my blood.
toolman7672

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

Hornet....I did not really mean being a machinist as a put down to myself....just kind of tongue and cheek. Even though I still consider myself blue collar..I have traveled this country from one end to the other working on everything from nuke reactors, jet turbines and even trained a few people in the BMW plant in SC ( and many of their suppliers.) Actually I am so impressed by this group of people that vary over the spectrum of age color and money. But we all have some great fellowship around the topics of our B cars. I really feel as comfortable in here as I would anyway. I have even had a few people send me owners manuals(thanks again!) and countless acts of kindness in assistance. By the way my car turn 222,222 miles today. Thanks agin to everybody for your help and thanks Dale for the lounge.
dale

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

I love how they ride and handle, the ergonomics, the style of most of them. How they are built makes it a pleasure(most of the time) to work on them.
It's a great hobby.
bmwmpowerredbull

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

hah
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANF06

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

Ditto.. Like Dale said: "It's a great hobby"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SaturdayNightBimmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

At first, I thought I couldn't ever afford one of these BMW's. Thought only lawyers and accountants could afford them. Then I wised up, did the research and to my total surprise, picked one up for $3500. I love these E30's for their durability and the engineering. Funny how people still believe my $3500 E30 is worth like $20K or whatever. There is definitely a "money stigma" associated with this car. I love 'it, and so do the ladies!

Tony
Bavarian Weedeater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Why do you love these cars Reply with quote

because chicks dig bimmers and its lightyears ahead of the old z24(even though the z24 would embarass it like none other in a straight line)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: