Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bye bye Bangle

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Bye bye Bangle Reply with quote

So it seems word on the street is that Bangle will be leaving BMW around fall of this year, having completed his revamp of their model lines. Reported in AutoExpress.
JRS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Bye bye Bangle Reply with quote

Um, what's "Bangle" ?

JRS
rld777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Bye bye Bangle Reply with quote

Bangle is the man responsible for all the "eyesore" BMW designs of late, beginning with the 745 and right on to the new Three due in about a year or two. I had not hear that he was leaving, though. Actually, I rather like the new Fives, except for i-drive.

Bangle is not solely responsible, BMW management signed off on these designs, even though they are non-traditional. For better or worsse, all of them make a statement. The only one in my humble opinion that has just not grown on me one bit is the Z-4. According to sales numbers, it seems it hasen't grown on many others, either. Too bad, it's a great car undernieth...
JRS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Bye bye Bangle Reply with quote

rld777,

Thanks for the clarification. Two co-workers have Z4's. One got his in early 2003 and the other just bought his back in November 2003. I like the design and the details, but I think that he "perception" of the Z3 being a "chick" car is what is holding back on the popularity of the Z4 among the testosterone clan.

Now the M Roadster is a different breed. I also have a buddy who owns one. Damn nice.

JRS
PJK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Bye bye Bangle Reply with quote

With this great news, I'm thinking there may be a newer BMW in my future.

Phil

quote:
Originally posted by McK 325iS:
So it seems word on the street is that Bangle will be leaving BMW around fall of this year, having completed his revamp of their model lines. Reported in AutoExpress.
board_nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Bye bye Bangle Reply with quote

Quote:
Um, what's "Bangle" ?

Chris Bangle. BMW design chief. Believe it when I see it
Brent Beltz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Bye bye Bangle Reply with quote

The "tell" will be if and when the other automakers follow Bangles ideas. Some already have. Radical shifts in design philosophy are rarely well recieved, and it takes an auto maker like BMW who has the money and incredible engineering skills to push the industry in a new direction. My bet is that Bangles design ideas will be around for many years to come.
donaldan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Bye bye Bangle Reply with quote

We probably should not discredit Mr. Bangle so soon. Do remember he was also responsible for a whole series of extermely successful designs including the last iteration of the 5 series (E39) and the current 3 series. One of the lessons learned by BMW was sticking too closely to the previous model is no longer acceptable by the public. The 5 series body styles of E28 and E34 were just not different enough and the sales suffered. European style changes take place only every 7 years or so. With increasing global competition, public can be easily put off if they were asked to buy the same style in such a long product cycle.

The other thing is BMW thrives on engineering superiority and innovation. The body style change has go with the engineering innovations. The new 7 series, Z4 and the 5 series are a tour de force engineering-wise and they need some innovative styles to go with it.

That doesn't mean that all such efforts can be successful. For sure if you are 100% successful, you are not taking enough risk and you are not enterprising enough. Leadership position is inherently risky. It surely is easy to follow than to lead. I am glad that BMW takes the position to lead. That is why I like to drive BMW more than Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, Audi or Volvo.
dale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Bye bye Bangle Reply with quote

E39 => little if any Bangle involvement, already set in stone when he joined the company.
Z3 => mostly finished when Bangle joined, he says he contributed some details, but that's all.
E46 => yep, he oversaw this one
all since then E53,Z8,Z4,E60,E65,etc

Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: