Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snowing in Seattle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

Hey it's snowing in Seattle! I just got my 525iT back on the road with a new radiator. It's our ownly vehicle with snow tires at the moment, so just in time.

Just had to tell someone ...

kav

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

its snowing here in vancouver.... she got stuck goin up the hill, so im chillin at home....

bertible

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

We're up to about 15 cm (6 inches) at my place (Vancouver, actually North Delta). My 87 325iC runs great in the snow. Snowies keep the limited slip in check, just wish I had them on the front for turning!

I do like the look of the 525it though, my dream second car!

'87 bertible
dale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

The 525iT with Blizzaks is great for driving up to Whistler! Which we did several times last year, but probably won't have time for this year.

Dale
KenCopperwheat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

It's snowing all along I-5 in OR and WA
kristuphir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

I can vouch for that. I just drove from Seattle to LA the other (couple of) day(s)...it was pouring, pouring rain all the way from Seattle to Ashland, where we learned the I-5 corridor through the mountains into California was closed indefinitely. Apparently they had to extract 400 stranded cars from the pass. Anyway, we took an alternate, less mountainous route out to the coast, down through the Redwoods, and through the Bay Area to hook back up with I-5...a nice, looooong trip.

I just bought my car, an '89 325is, the other month, and I have to say it's terrific for road trips such as this. It just cruises smoothly along, and according to my trip computer, we averaged 27mpg on both the trip up and the trip down. I dunno if that's accurate, but it's pretty impressive if so...
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

Badly shod...

Well shod.

The weather is wacky. There's still a good bit of snow in Bellevue, where I live, and Enumclaw, where a friend I frequently visit lives, and absolutely none in the U district, where I work. Which is annoying, because the snow tires absolutely suck on pavement.
Cephas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

I must admit that I am jealous. It has snowed once in Chicago, and it all melted in about a day. There's something weird about not having snow for the holidays, and the weather is bleak and dark without snow. It actually POURED rain yesterday. But we are supposed to get 4-6 inches on Sunday! Woo-hoo!
ANF06

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

Snow is fun with the proper tires. That's for sure. I have e30 steel wheels and bmw hubcaps on new yokohama gaurdex snows. Steels are heavier and work better than aluminum bottlecaps in the snow (I tried the b-caps in snow with snows last winter..)

Here's some pics of the first snow here in Pa.

Have fun with the touring in the snow Dale!
-Jim

http://www.fototime.com/A9528A04D7B2A8F/standard.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JRS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

Cephas,

I moved from Park Ridge/Niles, IL to Texas about 11 years ago and I don't miss the snow at all. I have to admit that Texans don't know how to drive in snow/ice very well (no offense to my fellow Texan E30 bimmers). But it's great to have had the Chicago-snow-driving experience under my belt.

I wonder how an E30 IX handles in the snow/ice. 4WD...

JRS
graha13836

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

I am officially jealous. it hit 80 freaking degrees here today, I found out the air has puked in the bimmer, if the temp does not drop a little more, I may have to turn on the ac in the house cause its still about 76 in here even with all the doors and windows open. We had like two days of winter this year and its gone... I hate Florida. Flat, Hot and humid.. True Floridians like myself will never go to hell we have lived here our whole lives.. I WANT SNOW DAMNITT.. I WANT TO GO SKIING AGAIN, I WANT TO HAVE TO DRIVE THE JEEP CAUSE ITS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL GET DECENT TRACTION.... I have been told there is soemthing wrong with me but come live here for 34 years and you will likely understand.
Jarvis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JRS:

...Excellent. Last winter I rode in Brew's 325ix and we had zero problems getting and maintaining traction in a LOT of snow. It was funny to see nothing but Tahoes, Explorers, and Jeeps out during a blizzard, with the little white E30 parked in the middle of them. We parked the 'ix in his yard, and after about 18" of snow had accumulated around it, we still didn't have any problem moving it. 325ix's are incredible in the snow. Screw Audi Quattro

quote:
Originally posted by Shawns 86 325ES:
I WANT SNOW DAMNITT.. I WANT TO GO SKIING AGAIN, I WANT TO HAVE TO DRIVE THE JEEP CAUSE ITS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL GET DECENT TRACTION.... I have been told there is soemthing wrong with me but come live here for 34 years and you will likely understand.

Ok, I'll trade with you. I came back from school in upstate NY where we got more snow than I could ever want, and I have to go back there in a week. MA has had 40-degree weather and rain so far this winter... making for a rather $hitty Christmas break.
Still want to trade?
dale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

Drove from Seattle to Livingston MT on Sunday, and there to Sturgis, SD today, on to Minneapolis tomorrow.
Coldest temp I saw was -25F in the pass above Butte, MT...brrr!!

The Bizzacks and the Touring are doing fantastic in the cold crappy weather.
Started it up this morning at -5F with no trouble at all.

The mountain passes were wet and messy near Seattle, slick as heck in Idaho, and no big deal in Montana. The road has been clear of snow drifts, but lots of patches of ice. The good news is, with this ultra cold weather, the tires actually stick better on the ice then they would around 31F.

Dale

[ 01-05-2004: Message edited by: dale ]
Cephas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JRS:
Cephas,

I moved from Park Ridge/Niles, IL to Texas about 11 years ago and I don't miss the snow at all. I have to admit that Texans don't know how to drive in snow/ice very well (no offense to my fellow Texan E30 bimmers). But it's great to have had the Chicago-snow-driving experience under my belt.

JRS

JRS, Cool. Then you're likely familiar with Schaumburg and Palatine and Hoffman Estates? I live in Inverness. It's a small unincorporated area in between all of those. Yeah, I agree, sometimes I could do without the snow, but I would say its the FREEZING cold that bothers me more. It's 3 degrees today, and to those who've never been here, believe me, there's a reason Chicago is called the windy city. The wind chill is -20 degrees.

But remember how people in Chicago drive in the rain? 30ft of snow and they'd still be going too fast, but a little rain and everyone freaks out. It's funny. I spent the other day driving a Jeep Liberty in a snow storm(my Girlfreinds) and I must say 4WD is great. I told her, when I'm older I'll have 2 cars:
E30 M3 for Summer, E30 325IX for rain and winter!
pup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Snowing in Seattle Reply with quote

heres a lot of snow. granted it was last year, but it was still unusual to see 3.5 feet in denver.
the 89:

and the 94:

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited by: pup ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: