Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rough idle and power loss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Rough idle and power loss Reply with quote

I've only noticed this twice so far, but I figured I'd toss the question out there..

Two times after I just purchased the car it would idle "rough" at stop lights and seem to lose power (RPMs dropped roughly 250 or so).

I honestly can't remember if I had the A/C on, so that may have been it.. and in fact, I haven't had the A/C on once since it quit raining on me daily, so it may have just been that. It just seemed like a pretty significant drop, so I want to know if it's something I should be worried about or not.

edjack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Rough idle and power loss Reply with quote

How many kms on the car? Has the fuel filter ever been changed? Did the Check Engine light come on?
jingai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Rough idle and power loss Reply with quote

Only 12,800 miles (20,600 km) on the engine. I just bought the car, so I don't know when the filter was last changed. I am getting the dealer to do oil/filter change, coolant flush, and spark plugs on thursday, though.
jingai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Rough idle and power loss Reply with quote

Oh, and the CEL never came on. I currently have three yellow lights on the service panel as well.
DaveB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Rough idle and power loss Reply with quote

What engine do you have? M44 or something bigger? The A/C shouldn't make any difference at all to the idle speed. The DME senses it and gives it a bit more gas to compensate. That's how mine works. the only time I notice a dip in idle speed (750 - 700ish) is when I close the door and the windows lifts up, the DME can't compensate for that.
jingai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Rough idle and power loss Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveB:
What engine do you have? M44 or something bigger? The A/C shouldn't make any difference at all to the idle speed. The DME senses it and gives it a bit more gas to compensate.

Eh, no it's just a wee 1.9 liter 4 cylinder. In some cars with 4 cylinder engines I've noticed the A/C does cause a dip in performance, but after trying it off and on in the Z3, you're right, it doesn't appear to.

And FWIW, it hasn't happened again since. Maybe it had something to do with the fact the car has very low mileage and is 6 years old, so it probably just needed some exercise.
DaveB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Rough idle and power loss Reply with quote

The 1.9l 4-cyl IS the M44.
87325e

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Rough idle and power loss Reply with quote

I had problems with my Air flow sensor. The car would rough idle, then sometimes it would just die. It would seemto surge also. If it is your air flow sensor, it is easy to fix.
The Puffin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A common cause to sudden drop of RPM during idle is a faulty temperature sensor in the intake airflow. The drop in RMP sometimes is so large that the engine will stall.

Once the engine is up to temperature this wont happen during idle.

/Sven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: