Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold engine and shifting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Cold engine and shifting Reply with quote

Everytime I leave the garage each morning in my '96 Z3, the transmission (automatic) seems to have difficulty going into 2nd and/or 3rd gear. Once everything heats up (after roughly five minutes or so of driving), it begins to shift normally.

Basically, it just seems seriously delayed. ie, it will only shift if I smack the rev limiter. I've just been taking it easy until it heats up, but that essentially means I can't drive over 25 mph or so for five minutes..

Also, it doesn't seem to do it when I leave work at the end of the day. The car sits in the lot here at the office for 8+ hours. Maybe the florida sun is keeping things warm enough during the day to hide the problem...?

Thanks for any tips in advance.
RobZ3Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Cold Engine and Shifting Reply with quote

In the UK, so constantly cold!

It doesn't help with a tip, but I have the same challenge. Have to force the stick shift into 2nd/3rd for the first 5-10 minutes of driving.

Having read the manual, it suggests slow driving and frequent change up/downs for the first few miles. Sounds like they're aware of the problem!

Sorry couldn't be more constructive.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: