Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

power steering fluid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arthur2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: power steering fluid Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1988 750il the power steering pump is making noise mainly when it's cold. I haven't had a chance to buy a service manual yet. I cannot find the power steering resevior to check the fluid level. Can anyone help?
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: power steering fluid Reply with quote

On newer models, the reservoir is capped by an 8-spoke black plastic cap. Yours may also.

The reservoir is generally located on the left fender well.

Most BMWs use ATF in the power steering. Your owner's manual should tell you. I would urge you to flush the system to see if the noise goes away.

I remove the return line, after emptying the reservoir, run the engine at idle, and keep pouring ATF into the reservoir until fresh fluid runs out the return line.
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: power steering fluid Reply with quote

Be careful. My wife's e32 uses some expensive Pentosin stuff. It is about $27 / liter.
If you have leveling you may need that magic elexar. I think the cars which came without automatic leveling use the same ATF used in the e36.

Phil
scrat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is right some models do use pentosin. Check your manual or better yet just take the cap off. The little dipstick on it may say what type of fluid to use. I believe autzone still sells pentosin. It is expensive though. If you ever find a good deal on pentosin buy it. Its good to get about a gallon or more. Then just put it in your garage. so if you ever decide to flush it or if you do have some problems in your steering and need it redone you will already have the fluid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: