Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mystery Coolant Pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ourtroublesareover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Mystery Coolant Pressure Reply with quote

I recently purchased a '92 735i and in the first week cracked a coolant hose. The hose replacement was a snap, but approximately one week later I blew another one (different hose). Fixed that as well and in the process that the coolant system was holding abnormally high pressure for as much as an hour more after shutting down the car. The water pump is working, the thermostat I just replaced and I am going to be doing the clutch fan in a day or two, but my question is whether or not the high pressure could be attributed to a head gasket problem.

This is getting a bit frustrating.
bmw mick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Mystery Coolant Pressure Reply with quote

i had a 1989 735il i drove for 9 years. there was a recall on the coolent pressure cap. go to the bmw dealer have yours looked at. i would say no charge. ask them if yours has been changed. i know yours is a 92 but ask anyway.
ourtroublesareover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Mystery Coolant Pressure Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the cap, but as it turns out it was a blown head gasket and a subsequently fried head. Off to see the machine shop wizard.

Side note: after going to the machine shop and finding that the three heads being done in front of mine were all 735's I got the run down on it being a fairly common problem on the model after a 150,000. So, if that's where your vehicle sits, getter checked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: